Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing after a c-section *Update in purple*

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:03 AM
  • 37 Replies

My sister just had her first baby last Sunday (the 9th) by c-section.  She wants to nurse, but is having trouble holding the baby to nurse, so she's just pumping and giving baby milk in a bottle.  She wants to put her baby to the breast, but says it's too hard to find a comfortable position.

I will be seeing her this Saturday, and am wanting to help her find a comfortable way to nurse.  What tips and advice can I offer her?  For moms who have had a c-section, what postions were most comfortable for you and what made nursing easier and more comfortable?  I nursed my kids, but didn't have c-sections, so this is new to me.  

Update: First of all, thank you to those who responded.  I really appreciate the help and advice.

I visited with my sister last Saturday.  The football hold wasn't comfortable for her, so she tried the cradle hold.  The baby knows there's milk in there and tries to latch on (and he did a couple times for about 10 seconds).  I told her that because she's been giving the bottle, he's not used to the breast and to keep trying.  I don't know if she's going to try anymore since my mom told me she's just going to pump and bottle feed the baby the milk.  While I respect her choice, I do have a concern.

All she has are single hand pumps (one Medela, and one Evenflo).  She doesn't want to get a dual electric pump as she thinks that what she has is fine.  She also pumps for just less than two minutes, and leans back while pumping (then letting the milk drain into the bottle).  I'm afraid that if she keeps this up, the baby isn't going to get adequate nutrition.  She got a sample can of formula from the hospital and has been using that in addition to pumped foremilk (I don't think she gets any hindmilk since she doesn't pump long).

I don't know what else to do at this point.  My mom told me I need to back off and just let my sister do her own thing.  It's going to be hard watching my nephew suffer if things don't shape up, but what can I do.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:05 AM
I laid my son on a boppe pillow. Not the generic Wal-Mart one it wasn't firm enough. A name brand one. It kept him off my incision and I only had to support him not hold him.
Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:08 AM

I have had 2 csections with my children and I also nursed both. People say that the football hold is the easiest but I never used that method. I had very small children that the cradle hold was fine for me. 

Another thing, does she have a surgical binder. if not she needs one asap. it helps with healing but it also makes it more comfy to hold the baby with out it putting pressure on her belly. I didnt have one with my first but my second it worked so well I wasable to have the baby lay on my chest/belly within 10 hours of my csection.

Let me know if you have any more questions

sweetspice03
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:22 AM

I like the idea of the football hold.  I'll have her try that and see how she does.  I've never heard of a surgical binder.  Where can she get one, and how much do they cost?

Quoting Lovin_mybaby5:

I have had 2 csections with my children and I also nursed both. People say that the football hold is the easiest but I never used that method. I had very small children that the cradle hold was fine for me. 

Another thing, does she have a surgical binder. if not she needs one asap. it helps with healing but it also makes it more comfy to hold the baby with out it putting pressure on her belly. I didnt have one with my first but my second it worked so well I wasable to have the baby lay on my chest/belly within 10 hours of my csection.

xredstarsx
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:25 AM
Foot ball hold here too. I only did it for about a week, then it was fine with cradle. Also I got my kids side lying for nursing as early as I could.
Lovin_mybaby5
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:35 AM
She can get the belly bandit. It will work.just as well. My insurance covered mine and my Dr provided it for.me.at the hospital

Quoting sweetspice03:

I like the idea of the football hold.  I'll have her try that and see how she does.  I've never heard of a surgical binder.  Where can she get one, and how much do they cost?

Quoting Lovin_mybaby5:

steffiecox
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:32 AM
The football position worked for me until I healed from my c section. A bobby pillow was my best friend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jllybny83
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:45 AM
I had a belly band I got from the hospital helped tons. Between that and the bobbee pillow I was able to use the cradle hold. Lots of pillows to support baby's weight.
Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 8:09 AM
I used the regular cradle hold but had the "my breast friend" pillow. It gave support and cushioned the incision. Good luck to her.
mn24
by Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I was able to use the cradle hold, but also did the football hold. What I found most comfortable for the football hold would be to sit on the bed or couch and pile up like 2-3 regular pillows next to me and lay baby on them. That way baby was high up near my breast already and I just had to wrap my arm around her and lift her up to latch. Very similar to the football hold, but the pillows offer more support.

jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM
I had 2 csection and for the first couple of weeks the football hold worked the best. Especially with larger breast. Also use a boppy pillow as well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN