Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing after a c-section *Update in purple*

Posted by   + Show Post

My sister just had her first baby last Sunday (the 9th) by c-section.  She wants to nurse, but is having trouble holding the baby to nurse, so she's just pumping and giving baby milk in a bottle.  She wants to put her baby to the breast, but says it's too hard to find a comfortable position.

I will be seeing her this Saturday, and am wanting to help her find a comfortable way to nurse.  What tips and advice can I offer her?  For moms who have had a c-section, what postions were most comfortable for you and what made nursing easier and more comfortable?  I nursed my kids, but didn't have c-sections, so this is new to me.  

Update: First of all, thank you to those who responded.  I really appreciate the help and advice.

I visited with my sister last Saturday.  The football hold wasn't comfortable for her, so she tried the cradle hold.  The baby knows there's milk in there and tries to latch on (and he did a couple times for about 10 seconds).  I told her that because she's been giving the bottle, he's not used to the breast and to keep trying.  I don't know if she's going to try anymore since my mom told me she's just going to pump and bottle feed the baby the milk.  While I respect her choice, I do have a concern.

All she has are single hand pumps (one Medela, and one Evenflo).  She doesn't want to get a dual electric pump as she thinks that what she has is fine.  She also pumps for just less than two minutes, and leans back while pumping (then letting the milk drain into the bottle).  I'm afraid that if she keeps this up, the baby isn't going to get adequate nutrition.  She got a sample can of formula from the hospital and has been using that in addition to pumped foremilk (I don't think she gets any hindmilk since she doesn't pump long).

I don't know what else to do at this point.  My mom told me I need to back off and just let my sister do her own thing.  It's going to be hard watching my nephew suffer if things don't shape up, but what can I do.

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:03 AM
Replies (31-37):
sweetspice03
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:30 PM

She thinks the way she's doing it is fine, but I did tell her that she's welcome to talk to me any time she needs to.  I just talked to my mom again and the breastfeeding nurse told my sister that if she's just going to pump and bottle feed that she needs a dual electric pump.  Even tho she swears by the two single hand ones, I'm sure she'd give in to the dual electric one if she tried it.  It's just a matter of getting one as she can't afford one.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Kind of a bummer of an update. If it was a friend I probably would completely back off. But if it were my sister I'd say "I have a couple concerns about your breastfeeding and I have some tips that might help you. If you are comfortable with how it's going then I'll leave you be but I'd hate to think you had questions and I didn't offer myself to help you." She'll either tell you she's fine, thank you. Or she'll say she's hit some bumps and needs some advice.

sweetspice03
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:33 PM

She claims she gave up because she couldn't get baby to latch on perfectly the first time.  I told her it takes practice.  She has seen the LC through WIC, but she's still dead-set on exclusively pumping.  She saw a breastfeeding nurse, and was told that if she wants to exclusively pump, she needs to get a dual electric pump.

Quoting Precious333: Bummer about the update :( i bet she is stressed which is why she is pumping. Would she be willing to see an Ibclc?

Analugojana
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:41 AM
I'm hearing a quick switch to formula here. She will probably say the baby didn't latch and then she didn't produce enough by pumping. Exclusively pumping can be done but it takes A LOT of dedication. I don't hear that from her. You can support her but ultimately it's her choice and you can't replace that.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:37 PM
Yeah, unfortunately if she doesnt want to work at it there is nothing else you can do :(

Quoting sweetspice03:

She claims she gave up because she couldn't get baby to latch on perfectly the first time.  I told her it takes practice.  She has seen the LC through WIC, but she's still dead-set on exclusively pumping.  She saw a breastfeeding nurse, and was told that if she wants to exclusively pump, she needs to get a dual electric pump.

Quoting Precious333: Bummer about the update :( i bet she is stressed which is why she is pumping. Would she be willing to see an Ibclc?

natlogancas
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:32 PM
Boppy pillow. I used to load the bed up with pillows recline myself and cross my legs (indian style) and put a boppy pillow around my tummy and lay the baby on it sideways and nurse her.
It was the only way i could get comfortable. Hope it helps
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Let her do her thing. It looks to me like she isn't truly interested in breastfeeding.

sweetspice03
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Yeah, she just wants to exclusively pump and feed baby through a bottle because she thinks it's much easier and allows for others to help with feedings.  But with the way she's pumping, I don't think it'll be sufficient enough for baby to thrive on.  She has only two single hand pumps, and pumps for only a minute or two at a time, so I don't think she's getting the rich hind milk out.  I'll let her be and let her do what she wants; I just hope my nephew doesn't suffer.

Quoting gdiamante:

Let her do her thing. It looks to me like she isn't truly interested in breastfeeding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN