Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Oversupply and pumping

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM
  • 4 Replies
I have oversupply. Baby gets two 3oz bottles at daycare. I pump at work only, once for each bottle he gets. My pump response has increased and I typically get 4-6 oz per 15-20 minute pumping session. I rarely pump 2-3 minutes after milk stops. I'm usually still yielding milk when I end the session.
Should I shorten the pumping sessions to discourage the oversupply? I haven't so far because I want to make sure I'm pumping the fattier hind milk. Also, I'm not sure those two sessions have much impact on the oversupply in general?
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Is the oversupply affecting the baby? If not, I don't think there's any need to change anything.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No. You are pumping for missed feedings and need to be mimicking the pattern of your baby nursing. If you were pumping in addition to nursing, then yes, you would need to slow down or stop to prevent oversupply.

Ms.Pteranodon
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

I think the only time having an oversupply is a blessing is when you're a working mom and pumping!

Also make sure you pump (even for just a minute) if you get uncomfortable. You don't want to get a clogged duct.

Quoting aehanrahan: Is the oversupply affecting the baby? If not, I don't think there's any need to change anything.
Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Not right now. I've had some bouts of OAL that caused fussiness and gas early on, but nursing seems pretty smooth for the most part and he doesn't seem to be in digestive distress. He's a chunky guy, I assume in part due to the oversupply, but healthy.

Thank you all.. I've been wondering about this for a bit and your input helps put my mind at ease.

Quoting aehanrahan: Is the oversupply affecting the baby? If not, I don't think there's any need to change anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)