Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

in need of advice-baby not gaining enough on breastfeeding...

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM
  • 12 Replies

hi, my daughter is 11 weeks old and we are having some difficulties. She has soley nursed for the first ten weeks of life, no bottles or anything. I nurse on demand, so whenever she acts hungry. The nursing will last anywhere from 20 min, to an hour and a half. She takes longer in the mornings to eat. I have some clicking noises on one side when she nurses along with an ongoing blister. This side also produces less than the other. The other side however, does just great. 

So to get to the point, my daughter left the hospital at 6 lbs 14 oz. She put on weight fast the first week, weighing an oz more than her birth weight. she weighed 7 lb 8 oz. But now the pediatrition seems to be conserned about her weight. Two weeks ago she was weighing in at 9 lb 4 oz at nine weeks. The pediatrition asked me if i was dieting, and i was doingweight watchers  breast feeding points plus. So he advised me to stop doing that, and to nurse only on each side for 20 min every two hours. So I stoped weight watchers and began this schedual. But she seemed hungry after feedings,. So I tried to do one side for 30 to 40 min, and 5 to 10 on the other side. I read online that that may help. I was unimpressed with my pediatrition and wanted a second opion and went to another two weeks later.i also thought that she may have tounge tie, and i was pretty certain that she had lip tie. So I wanted the new pediatrition to look into this at her appointment. 

at this appointment she was 11 weeks and weighed 9 lbs 8 oz. So barely any gain at all.THe new pediatrition wanted me to stop breastfeeding altogether and pump every bottle and add formula to each on until she catches up in her weight gain. I left the office in tears, feeling like I was being ripped away from nursing. She didn't think she had tounge tie, and so there we were. My hustband And i agreed to keep nursing at night anyways because it was to emotionally hard to just give up like that. 

So I really would like to know if anybody has any advice? I love nurseing, and I couldnt ever get it right with my first baby and really felt blessed to be able to with this one. This has left me feeling like not bottle feeding her is bad, like puting her on my breast is bad and I am not good enough. 

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this
First, no need to supplement for her to catch up. She's more than 3 lbs over what her expected lowest weight would be so no worries there. The pediatrician who told you to time her on the breast sabotaged you. You nurse on side a until she comes off on her own, burp, then offer side b. If she comes off b and is still hungry, burp, then offer side a again and then b again if needed. There was no problem with her weight then and there isn't now.

What does concern me is the latch issue and lip tie. She likely also has a posterior tongue tie which will cause issues with weight gain and suppky after your supply regulates. You need to get the ties taken care of. Everything else is dandy right now.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this
The weight gain that you are looking for is an average of 1 lb per month from the lowest weight. Lowest would be 10% less than birthweight or up to 13% less if you had iv fluids or a c-section. She is ahead of that. The doctors you've seen know less about breastfeeding than you do as they aren't trained on it in school. Their training on infant feeding and nutrition comes from the formula and baby food reps who bring samples to their offices.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:48 PM
Bw 110 oz
Lowest weight could have been 95 oz or 5 lbs 15 oz
At 9 weeks, we'd expect 7 lbs, 15 oz. At 11 weeks, we'd expect 8 lbs, 7 oz.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Her weight gain at the 9 week appt was perfect. There was never any need for supplementation or to stop your diet. Weight watchers is perfectly safe for a nursing mother to participate in. You are being completely misled by pediatricians that are uneducated in breastfeeding. Never restrict time at the breast. That was a completely bogus recommendation to schedule her feedings. How much formula are you currently giving your daughter? You will able to return to exclusively breastfeeding in no time. You also really need to get the ties released. Theres a really good resource on here that lists preferred frenotomy surgeons around the country; take a look at that.

harrisongirl
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:23 PM

They advised putting half a tsp every 3 oz of breastmilk. I definatly will want to look at the firenotomy surgens thank you! My husband doesnt like me pumping all day and wants me to just feed her like normal as much and as often as she desires, and then add in two 2 oz bottles of formula a day, and pump while she does this the same amount she is taking in from formula to keep my suply up so then we can go back to simply nursing. So we are trying this today, but I feel guilty not doing what the doctor advises. But I really feel like breastfeeding is the best, and it is too much to  just pump all day and no breastfeeding. My baby seems unsettled about it too. She will finish the bottle in like 5 min and seem stuffed, and frustrated because she wanted to nurse, and just fuss. THe formula also is making her gassy. Where do I go to look at the frenotomy?  

Quoting stepconfused182:

Her weight gain at the 9 week appt was perfect. There was never any need for supplementation or to stop your diet. Weight watchers is perfectly safe for a nursing mother to participate in. You are being completely misled by pediatricians that are uneducated in breastfeeding. Never restrict time at the breast. That was a completely bogus recommendation to schedule her feedings. How much formula are you currently giving your daughter? You will able to return to exclusively breastfeeding in no time. You also really need to get the ties released. Theres a really good resource on here that lists preferred frenotomy surgeons around the country; take a look at that.

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM
1 mom liked this

First warning: Doctors are generally poorly trained on infant nutrition and don't actually know what kind of gain to look for. 4-7 ounces per week average is what we seek. Average because some weeks baby will gain more, some weeks less, some not at all.

Quoting harrisongirl:

hi, my daughter is 11 weeks old and we are having some difficulties. She has soley nursed for the first ten weeks of life, no bottles or anything. I nurse on demand, so whenever she acts hungry. The nursing will last anywhere from 20 min, to an hour and a half. She takes longer in the mornings to eat. I have some clicking noises on one side when she nurses along with an ongoing blister. This side also produces less than the other. The other side however, does just great.

So to get to the point, my daughter left the hospital at 6 lbs 14 oz. She put on weight fast the first week, weighing an oz more than her birth weight. she weighed 7 lb 8 oz.

But now the pediatrition seems to be conserned about her weight. Two weeks ago she was weighing in at 9 lb 4 oz at nine weeks.

The pediatrition asked me if i was dieting, and i was doingweight watchers  breast feeding points plus. So he advised me to stop doing that, and to nurse only on each side for 20 min every two hours.

Argh. I hate when doctors do this. Timing is an ivnitation to poor gain. That was your cue to walk away and not darken the doc's door again, but most moms don't know that. The average gain was only half an ounce off the minimum four per week. 

So I stoped weight watchers and began this schedual. But she seemed hungry after feedings,. So I tried to do one side for 30 to 40 min, and 5 to 10 on the other side. I read online that that may help. I was unimpressed with my pediatrition and wanted a second opion and went to another two weeks later.i also thought that she may have tounge tie, and i was pretty certain that she had lip tie. So I wanted the new pediatrition to look into this at her appointment. 

at this appointment she was 11 weeks and weighed 9 lbs 8 oz. So barely any gain at all.THe new pediatrition wanted me to stop breastfeeding altogether and pump every bottle and add formula to each on until she catches up in her weight gain. I left the office in tears, feeling like I was being ripped away from nursing. She didn't think she had tounge tie, and so there we were. My hustband And i agreed to keep nursing at night anyways because it was to emotionally hard to just give up like that. 

So I really would like to know if anybody has any advice? I love nurseing, and I couldnt ever get it right with my first baby and really felt blessed to be able to with this one. This has left me feeling like not bottle feeding her is bad, like puting her on my breast is bad and I am not good enough. 

You were actually doing VERY WELL until the docs got in the way. THe gain wasn't so under that they needed to put you through any of this,

The tongue tie is the problem and needs clipping. (Did you know midwives used to do that as a matter of course when a new baby was born? One swipe under the tongue with a sharp fingernail, that was it.)

gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:34 PM
gdiamante
by Gina on Feb. 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Do not feel guilty. They get NO training.

Besides, step is a doc.. one of the rare ones who actually knows what she's about. **smile**

Quoting harrisongirl:

They advised putting half a tsp every 3 oz of breastmilk. I definatly will want to look at the firenotomy surgens thank you! My husband doesnt like me pumping all day and wants me to just feed her like normal as much and as often as she desires, and then add in two 2 oz bottles of formula a day, and pump while she does this the same amount she is taking in from formula to keep my suply up so then we can go back to simply nursing. So we are trying this today, but I feel guilty not doing what the doctor advises. But I really feel like breastfeeding is the best, and it is too much to  just pump all day and no breastfeeding. My baby seems unsettled about it too. She will finish the bottle in like 5 min and seem stuffed, and frustrated because she wanted to nurse, and just fuss. THe formula also is making her gassy. Where do I go to look at the frenotomy?  

Quoting stepconfused182:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
You do NOT need the bottles of formula. Formula has fewer calories per ounce than breastmilk. Go back to exclusively breastfeeding on demand and find a new doctor.

Quoting harrisongirl:

Quoting stepconfused182:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2014 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Half a tsp of formula in 3oz of breastmilk? Is that what you're saying? That would provide about 1 calorie. That makes no sense. I agree with K8....drop the formula. You're good to go on just feeding at the breast.

Quoting harrisongirl:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)