Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nursing strik and blocked duct

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ok so the last feed that my 14 month old had was last night at 7:30pm. It is now 1pm and she is downright refusing to breast feed. No real worries about that, apart from the fact that i seem to have a blocked milk duct. Just wondering what people would recommend considering the situation.
I just pumped, not for very long, maybe 5 minutes, and got 1.5oz from the side that feels like it has the blocked duct. I honestly don't care if i loose my milk supply, so don't want to pump to keep up production, just to help with the medical problem of the blocked duct.
Next question, with pumping for a blocked duct, do i pump just for relieve (just to take the edge off), or should i be empting the breast? When i pumped i put a warm compress on my breast first, and then pumped. The relief i feel now us awesome!
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Continue pumping until the clog is cleared. Pump longer than you would to relieve engorgement; you need to get the clog out.
Merrick17
by Corrine on Feb. 14, 2014 at 9:52 PM
Massaging really worked for me along with pumping. I had a bad one a few days ago that went from the bottom right side of my breast all the way to the top, and cleared it in 24 hours with massage, pumping and hand expression. It was pretty painful. Good luck!
polkaspots
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:03 PM
You should pump to clear it. You don't have to really worry about creating oversupply a this point. It's unlikely since she's not nursing.
You're not going to lose your milk supply by not nursing. You'll still be producing almost as much as your little girl would usually drink.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:46 PM
This. If you don't get the clog out you'll end up with mastitis.

Quoting stepconfused182: Continue pumping until the clog is cleared. Pump longer than you would to relieve engorgement; you need to get the clog out.
missyice
by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 10:52 PM
Thank you ladies! I have had blocked ducts before, just not along with my little girl not feeding. I'll continue to pump to clear it.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Os she not feeling well, or teething?
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 15, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Pump, but maybe also have cuddle time to.encourage nursing.
missyice
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM
How long can nursing strikes last for? She is a very cuddly baby, so always lots of cuddles. But every time i offer her breast she cries and turns her head away. I assume teething. Is it possible she won't go back to nursing at all?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)