Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When it rains it pours...meds question..yes I am asking

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM
  • 9 Replies

OK so bad tonsilitis but normal for me, finally went and got some lozenges since i have been snowed in and felt like the dead here.  No power, no phone to speak of, felt like the flu but ended up tonsils.  ANYWAYS I bought chloraseptic max lozenges with benzocaine in it.  within 2hours my whole face/lips, arms chest and tummy are covered in a rash and swollen!

I took 2 benadryl, but heres my question..would Zyrtec be better for my supply if I need more?

by on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:32 PM
The benadryl won't hurt your supply and will treat the acute allergic reaction quicker. Don't use the Chloraseptic any more. Gargle with salt water or water and baking soda.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 14, 2014 at 11:51 PM

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Feb. 15, 2014 at 12:29 AM

I am very very sensitive so yeah benadryl will tank it even just with one dose but I will do what I can to counteract it a get things back to normal.  I already took it but thinking if I need to take something ese whether zyrtec would be better

I dont plan to ues them again..I just needed to swallow and feel like I wasnt choking on tonsils is all.  I didnt want to go get antibiotics because withmy history they would pressure to remove them and if it didnt cost $4000 plus me dying under anesthesia I wouldnt mind them removed

Quoting MusherMaggie: The benadryl won't hurt your supply and will treat the acute allergic reaction quicker. Don't use the Chloraseptic any more. Gargle with salt water or water and baking soda.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:59 AM
If you need abx, get abx. You have the right of refusal for any procedure that you don't want. Unless you have strep or tonsillitis recurrently right now, I don't think they'd pressure removal for one case. I had an abscessed tonsil as a kid and if THAT ever repeats it's immediate removal but otherwise a single case shouldn't be an issue.

Benedryl is your best bet to control the reaction. Use saltwater and acv gargles for pain, in addition to 600 mf ibuprofen every 6 hours (that's the minimum dose that reduces inflammation).

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I am very very sensitive so yeah benadryl will tank it even just with one dose but I will do what I can to counteract it a get things back to normal.  I already took it but thinking if I need to take something ese whether zyrtec would be better

I dont plan to ues them again..I just needed to swallow and feel like I wasnt choking on tonsils is all.  I didnt want to go get antibiotics because withmy history they would pressure to remove them and if it didnt cost $4000 plus me dying under anesthesia I wouldnt mind them removed

Quoting MusherMaggie: The benadryl won't hurt your supply and will treat the acute allergic reaction quicker. Don't use the Chloraseptic any more. Gargle with salt water or water and baking soda.

zannahdeux
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:09 AM

For regular allergies Zyrtec will be fine but please do not eat those lozenges! You had a pretty sever reaction and you don't want to play around with that...next time it could cause your throat to swell! I understand about tonsils I had mine out and it was the best decision I ever made. Tell your doc about your concern about money. See if they will let you do a payment plan or you can look into a ge credit card which allows you to finance health related things like this. I did it this year and I have zero interest for two years. As for dying under anesthesia I understand your concern. It is valid esp if you have a lot of allergies. Talk to your doc about these concerns too. The surgery is only about 40 mins and he/she can tell you if there is an anesthesia that people with allergies like yours could use...good luck

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Feb. 15, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Oh no Tabi! I hope that you feel better quickly!
sassygoddess
by on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:35 PM

That looks just like the rash my Dad would get...he was allergic to anything that had "caine" in it...benzocaine, lidocaine, novocaine..etc..

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Feb. 15, 2014 at 8:23 PM
I would stick with the Benadryl.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)