Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good foods for upping my 9 month old's weight

Posted by   + Show Post

So my son had his 9 month check up and the doctor is concerned about his weight. I was really reluctant to listen, I know that breast fed babies are under represented in growth charts and that they don't tend to gain as much weight as formula fed babies, so I started looking on line to show that everything was ok. I went to a couple websites including kellymom and the world health organization recommendations and it shows that my son who was born at 8lbs 6 oz, should be around 21 lbs at this point and he is only 18lbs 7 oz. My doctor wants me to add butter to his food to help fatten him up, but I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of better foods to use. He generally drinks around 18oz of breast milk at daycare along with about 12 oz of food. At home I breast feed about 3 more times and generally try to give him some of our dinner if appropriate. For example today he had a bannana and oatmeal for breakfast and some refried beans for lunch. Last night he had avacado for dinner. Ok that is probably too much rambling, but just looking for any ideas anyone has. 

Just to let everyone know, I'm not hugely concerned over this, but after doing the research, I see that my doctor is right in that his BMI is low, and his growth is low even by breast fed standards, so I figured I could try to steer his eating towards foods that might help with his weight gain. 

by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Replies (71-73):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM

NO ONE should stay at 90%, so dropping isnt a concern really..in fact I expect it!  % are silly and I try to tell everyone to ignore them.  Look at real actual numbers and gains..1lbs a month average..some babies overgain at first and then stop, some babies like mine overgained and then even LOST a pound once becoming mobile.  This is actually ok..heck he was a FF baby NO ONE FREAKED, if this had been my EBF baby even with the same weights I wouldve never heard the end of it.

Quoting Steph_G.:

I haven't really kept up with his weight history, I know he was gaining by leaps and bounds at the beginning and when he was born he was in 95th percentiles for height and weight, starting around 4 months he started losing percentiles dropping to 50th and now down to around 20th for both height and weight. He always gains just not at the rate of the curve. From his 6 month to his 9 month check-up he gained just under 2lbs. That probably wasn't horribly useful, but I think I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing and wait and see what happens

Quoting K8wizzo: His nursing schedule is perfect. All is well. What's his complete weight history?

Quoting Steph_G.:

when I get home at around 5:30 he eats at the breast for almost 30 minutes, then we eat dinner where I let him pick at food while we are eating and will spoon feed him if I worry that I didn't give him much. I never force feed him, I always just put the spoon near him and wait for him to take it, then at 7:30 I put him down for bed where he eats at the breast for about 20 minutes, he wakes up around 11 and I feed him at the breast for around 20 minutes, then in the morning I feed him at the breast for around 30 minutes around 6am. There is not enough time in a day to feed him more at the breast. And if he is getting more milk than kids twice his age then how could the fact that he's not gaining weight be the fact that I'm not giving him enough milk. I'm sorry if this comes off as uncaring or rude, but it is extrememly frustrating to feel like I am being told that I feed my kid too much and too little. 

Quoting K8wizzo: I think a lot of us assumed this. If you follow the one ounce per hour rule and cut back on the solids, he should nurse more when he's with you. Honestly, his gain is fine but it's possibly been slowed hy the amount of solids he's getting. Less solids = more milk = more weight gain. You want as muvh of that milk as possible to be at the breast because baby gets more good stuff at the breast than from being bottlefed breastmilk.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Since you're feeding him this much at nine months I just figured you did not wish to follow the one ounce rule. He is eating an entire days worth of food while at daycare... more than my twenty month old eats/drinks in a day for sure.

Quoting Steph_G.:

have to admit I'm a little frustrated, since before everyone was saying how the 20oz of milk that I was sending a day was excessive and now that they are only using 12-16 it's too little. *Sigh* I will talk to them on Wednesday (he doesn't go to daycare tomorrow) and ask them to make sure he gets more milk. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Ahhh. That's not good. THey should be using it all. That in itself can contribute to gain problems if he's getting more solids than milk. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the milk has more calories.

Quoting Steph_G.:

The problem with giving more milk and less solids at daycare is that means I have to pump more milk.......I will talk to them though because they aren't using everything that I send with him, he usually still has about 6oz left when I pick him up. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Is he very active? That could cause slower weight gain, and thats fine :)

Also, less solids and when you do adding avocado, I wouldnt give butter or any of those, onlt healthy fats. Breastmilk is best over all solids at this age. So nurse more and solids less.

Quoting Steph_G.:

It's not really the weight that I am looking at but the progression of weight.My son has dropped on the growth curve from around 95th percentile to around 20th percentile, and though what percentile your child is doesn't really matter it shows a lack of growth to drop more than 2 percentile lines. Also his BMI is only 16.2 which is considered underweight, so your child's height may be different than mine, which makes her 18lbs ok whereas my child's 18 lbs is concerning.

Quoting kajira:

I look at "baby" more then I do a weight chart - are they growing on their curve consistantly? How do they look? activity level? 

This was my daughter at 18 lbs. She definitely was NOT under weight. LOL

Steph_G.
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 7:37 PM

well someone has to stay at 90% that's how percentiles work

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

NO ONE should stay at 90%, so dropping isnt a concern really..in fact I expect it!  % are silly and I try to tell everyone to ignore them.  Look at real actual numbers and gains..1lbs a month average..some babies overgain at first and then stop, some babies like mine overgained and then even LOST a pound once becoming mobile.  This is actually ok..heck he was a FF baby NO ONE FREAKED, if this had been my EBF baby even with the same weights I wouldve never heard the end of it.

Quoting Steph_G.:

I haven't really kept up with his weight history, I know he was gaining by leaps and bounds at the beginning and when he was born he was in 95th percentiles for height and weight, starting around 4 months he started losing percentiles dropping to 50th and now down to around 20th for both height and weight. He always gains just not at the rate of the curve. From his 6 month to his 9 month check-up he gained just under 2lbs. That probably wasn't horribly useful, but I think I'm going to just keep doing what I'm doing and wait and see what happens

Quoting K8wizzo: His nursing schedule is perfect. All is well. What's his complete weight history?

Quoting Steph_G.:

when I get home at around 5:30 he eats at the breast for almost 30 minutes, then we eat dinner where I let him pick at food while we are eating and will spoon feed him if I worry that I didn't give him much. I never force feed him, I always just put the spoon near him and wait for him to take it, then at 7:30 I put him down for bed where he eats at the breast for about 20 minutes, he wakes up around 11 and I feed him at the breast for around 20 minutes, then in the morning I feed him at the breast for around 30 minutes around 6am. There is not enough time in a day to feed him more at the breast. And if he is getting more milk than kids twice his age then how could the fact that he's not gaining weight be the fact that I'm not giving him enough milk. I'm sorry if this comes off as uncaring or rude, but it is extrememly frustrating to feel like I am being told that I feed my kid too much and too little. 

Quoting K8wizzo: I think a lot of us assumed this. If you follow the one ounce per hour rule and cut back on the solids, he should nurse more when he's with you. Honestly, his gain is fine but it's possibly been slowed hy the amount of solids he's getting. Less solids = more milk = more weight gain. You want as muvh of that milk as possible to be at the breast because baby gets more good stuff at the breast than from being bottlefed breastmilk.

Quoting MommyO2-6631: Since you're feeding him this much at nine months I just figured you did not wish to follow the one ounce rule. He is eating an entire days worth of food while at daycare... more than my twenty month old eats/drinks in a day for sure.

Quoting Steph_G.:

have to admit I'm a little frustrated, since before everyone was saying how the 20oz of milk that I was sending a day was excessive and now that they are only using 12-16 it's too little. *Sigh* I will talk to them on Wednesday (he doesn't go to daycare tomorrow) and ask them to make sure he gets more milk. 

Quoting gdiamante:

Ahhh. That's not good. THey should be using it all. That in itself can contribute to gain problems if he's getting more solids than milk. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but the milk has more calories.

Quoting Steph_G.:

The problem with giving more milk and less solids at daycare is that means I have to pump more milk.......I will talk to them though because they aren't using everything that I send with him, he usually still has about 6oz left when I pick him up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)