Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hi! 28 months and counting lol need some advice :)

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM
  • 6 Replies
So we are on month 28 of breastfeeding and it's been quite a journey. In the beginning with lip tie and tongue tie. Got that clipped at 2 weeks and lip tie he recently fell and busted that open. I've had mastitis 2 times and thrush as well. Currently dealing with what I think to be a milk blister that will NOT go away!Does anyone have suggestions? I've done compress with hot water, soaking in hot water, lanolin, not nursing on that side as often ect. And it gets better and worse but never goes away. I have even peeled the blister off several times and still not better.

So I went through the "weaning" process before he turned two and was hoping to be done by 2 but he has no intentions of stopping anytime soon. He was always a needy baby and super fussy with colic until almost 1 years old. Never has slept through the night and yes I Co sleep once he comes to my bed at night around 3am. He does go to bed in his own room and own bed. And then he will nurse 1-5 times depending throughout the night. He nurses to sleep for naps and bedtime now. And is starting to ask for it once or twice a day. I had him down to ONE time at night and that was it! Then he got sick and would only nurse so I didn't refuse so I'm afraid I have kinda screwed up the whole weaning process. So where do I go from here? Just continue and let him self wean or try again to take away one nursing session per week? Oh and I'm potty training so I really don't want to do both at the same time. But maybe try in a month or two? I really want my body back and I love nursing but I'm just done and ready but he isn't. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks in advance! :)

This is my 3rd baby, first only lasted 2 weeks :( 2nd self weaned at 17 months so this is the longest and hardest one yet.
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM

First, for the milk blister:

Treatment

Recommended treatment for a milk blister usually consists of four steps: apply moist heat prior to nursing, clear the skin from the milk duct, nurse or pump with a hospital-grade pump, than follow up with medication to aid healing. You may need to repeat this for several days (or longer) until the plugged duct opening stays clear. Following are more detailed suggestions.

1. Apply moist heat to soften the blister prior to nursing. Several times per day, add asaline soak prior to applying the moist heat.

• An epsom-salt soak before breastfeeding helps to open the milk duct opening and also aids in healing. Use a solution of epsom salt — 2 teaspoons to 1 cup water. The epsom salt is first dissolved in a small amount of very hot water, then further water is added to cool it down enough to soak in. Try to add this epsom-salt soak to your routine at least 4 times per day.
  • Prior to nursing (and directly after the epsom-salt soak) place an extremely hot wet compress on the milk blister immediately before nursing or pumping. Be careful not to burn yourself. A cotton ball soaked with olive oil can be used to soften the skin instead of the wet compress.

2. Clear the skin from the milk duct.

This may not be necessary, as the combination of the heat and nursing/pumping should cause the skin to expand and the blister to open. However, it can be helpful to do one of the following at least once per day until skin no longer grows over the duct.

• Rub the blister area with a moist washcloth.
  • If a plug is protruding from the nipple, you can gently pull on it with clean fingers.
  • Loosen an edge of the blister by gently scraping with your fingernail.
  • If the above methods do not work, a sterile needle may also be used to open the blister. To minimize the risk for infection, ask your health care provider to do this (do not do this on your own). There is a much greater risk of infection if you do it yourself. First, wash the area well with soap and water; pat dry. Use a sterile needle to lift the skin at the edge of the blister. If a sterile needle is not available, sterilize needle with an autoclave or commercial sterilizing solution, by holding in a match flame until red hot (cool before using), or by soaking 10-15 minutes in rubbing alcohol. Use a lifting action, at the edge of the bleb, rather than a piercing action. Don’t push into the blister as it can push bacteria deeper into the nipple. If there is any loose blister-like skin, your health care provider may need to remove that also, using sterile tweezers and small sharp scissors to entirely remove the excess skin. Follow up with a soap and water wash (and be sure to use an antibiotic ointment after nursing). See Healing broken skin in the nipple area.

3. Nurse or pump with a hospital-grade pump. Nurse first on the breast with the milk blister, directly after applying heat.

Before you nurse, it can be helpful to use breast compression and attempt to hand express back behind and down toward the nipple to release any thickened milk that has backed up in the duct. Sometimes clumps or strings of hardened milk (often of a toothpaste consistency) can be expressed from this duct.

4. Treat the milk blister after nursing to aid healing.

See Healing broken skin the nipple area

[top]

Additional treatments for recurring milk blisters

Lecithin supplements can help to heal and prevent recurrent plugged ducts

Massaging the breast, areola and nipple with a massage oil containing grapefruit seed extract (GSE) can help to heal recurrent milk blisters. To make the massage oil: mix a few drops of grapefruit seed extract or citrus seed extract into olive oil.

Another treatment for persistent milk blisters: Once per day, spray breast and nipple area with a solution consisting of 5 drops of grapefruit seed extract, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 2 cups water.

Vitamin E ointment – applied very sparingly and wiped off before feedings (too much vitamin E can be toxic to baby) – can also help.

[top]

Further suggestions for healing

• Some suggest that you continue with a daily saline soak and brisk rub with a washcloth for a couple of weeks after the bleb resolves, to prevent recurrence.
  • Call your doctor if any of the following occurs: fever, inflammation (redness), swelling, oozing, pus, etc.
  • Between feedings, you can use ice packs and/or pain relievers (such as ibuprofen or tylenol) to relieve discomfort. Wearing breast shells, which will relieve the pressure from clothing, can also help with the pain and possibly aid healing.
  • Don’t forget to treat the underlying cause (if you know it) of the milk blister – oversupply,yeastpressure on an area of the breast, etc.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM

I'd let him self wean and concentrate on the potty training instead.

I always chuckle when a mom says she wants her body back... you never get it back. You will now become furniture1 **grin**

scharette
by on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Lmao!! So true! Thank you so much for the resources above I haven't found that anywhere! Although I didn't think to do a search in this group first! Lol I will read through it all and try it out. Maybe I need to me more aggressive about it. You think I need to be seen by a doc? Or keep trying to heal it on my own? I've had it since December.

Quoting gdiamante:

I'd let him self wean and concentrate on the potty training instead.

I always chuckle when a mom says she wants her body back... you never get it back. You will now become furniture1 **grin**

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Try what's posted above on your own first.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM
If you want to work on weaning, start with nightweaning. He's old enough for the boobies are sleeping method. Tell him that starting tomorrow, boobies or whatever you call them will go to sleep when he does and they won't wake up until the sun is up or an alarm goes off in the morning, whatever your preference is. When he wakes and asks to nurse, remind him that bobbies are sleeping, then snuggle him and rub his back until he falls back to sleep. It took 4 nights for my 20 month old but then he never asked to nurse at night again. After you tackle that, then you can limit him to just wake ups and lay downs, then start shortening those sessions by a little bit each day. When I was ready for a session to be over I told my ds he had one more twinkle twinkle, then sang twinkle twinkle little star and unlatched him.

As for potty training, we never had success with parent led methods. My boys started using the potty when they were ready to, no tears, no accidents, straight into underwear.
scharette
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Thank you for the advice that helps a ton! And we did the same with potty training. I wasn't ready but he was and pretty much potty trained himself. We are still working on poop on the potty but yesterday he went all my himself then today he couldn't get to the potty in time and went in his pants but was at least in the bathroom. He no longer would keep a diaper on and he would go sit on the potty all by himself...so he kinda decided it was time. I do the straight to underwear as well. Much better.

Quoting K8wizzo: If you want to work on weaning, start with nightweaning. He's old enough for the boobies are sleeping method. Tell him that starting tomorrow, boobies or whatever you call them will go to sleep when he does and they won't wake up until the sun is up or an alarm goes off in the morning, whatever your preference is. When he wakes and asks to nurse, remind him that bobbies are sleeping, then snuggle him and rub his back until he falls back to sleep. It took 4 nights for my 20 month old but then he never asked to nurse at night again. After you tackle that, then you can limit him to just wake ups and lay downs, then start shortening those sessions by a little bit each day. When I was ready for a session to be over I told my ds he had one more twinkle twinkle, then sang twinkle twinkle little star and unlatched him.

As for potty training, we never had success with parent led methods. My boys started using the potty when they were ready to, no tears, no accidents, straight into underwear.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN