Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

anyone ever go on a road trip with a nursing baby.

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM
  • 34 Replies
I have family that live in another state. A friend of mind wants to go on a road trip together. I've never gone on a road trip with a nursing baby before.
Does anyone have any experince with this?
My dd is 9 months now and the drive is about 10 hours if you drive straight through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BroCosMom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I just drove 33 hours by myself with kids 6, 3 and 15 months at the time, my 15 month old nurses very frequently still...10 hours isn't that bad of a drive, I suggest stopping ever 2-3 hours feeding and changing baby, filling up on gas and you go pee, doing this made for a very smooth trip for me and the kids :-)

I did 8 hours when baby was 3
Months and we just drove 4 hours breaked and drove 4 more, but hubby was with me then and it was much easier
Edenpeden
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM
I've gone on a four hour trip sheth my then four month old. Will be going on a twenty plus hour trip when my baby is around nine months. There was a lot of nursing in the car at, gas stations.i don't think its much different that any other baby, maybe a little easier.
pinkfairy0206
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM
Not that many hours. My son at the time was 7 months old and we had about a 3 hour drive to Pennsylvania. It wasn't to bad we stopped a couple times anyway and I nursed him then. I would just say do that.
BrownEyedGirl86
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:21 AM

I have done it 2 times 
dd was just barely 2 months at the time - and then she was almost 15 months the 2nd time....

we drove 12 hours the first time and 16 hours the 2nd time...I would do it again - and actually we are thinking about doing it this summer again 

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Yes. You have to stop every few hours, minimum, and for some reason my kids got the hungriest/fussiest when I either just passed the rest stop or when there was no place to stop.  I preferred to nurse in busy places.  Malls, rest stops, brightly lit parking lots.  Generally, I wanted witnesses so any creepers looking to take advantage of a woman traveling alone with 2 babies would be scared off.  Since you'll be with a friend, you have less of an issue.

shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Loads of times. Like everyone else says, stop every 2-3 hours so you can stretch and feed baby. If we leave early enough in the morning I can sometimes make that first stop 4-5 hours after we leave.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:30 AM
It's actually pretty easy. You just plan on stopping every few hours. Babies are much easier than toddlers. Nurse and walk around, change a diaper and get back in the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:31 AM

It usually takes me five hours to get to New Orleans.  When Remington was just shy of three weeks old I had to go down there to take my dad off life support.  It took us 8 hours to get there because his nursing sessions were so long.  We'd stop when he was hungry and fill up on gas and get snacks or whatever while I was in the backseat nursing him.  It was me, DH, Remington, and my mom, and my 5 year old on that trip.  When he was just shy of 2 months I went back down there for the funeral with my best friend, her 6 year old, dd8, ds10, and remington.  We stopped to nurse twice, and made it in six hours.  Same thing, just stopped when he was hungry and did everything then.  Gas, kids' snacks or whatever, walk around a little, and nurse.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:44 AM

I drove from NC to TX and back with a 2 month old, we just planned to stop when needed, did changes and feedings and walked around about every 2-3 hours..if baby was asleep we didnt stop!  I had 3 others kiddos ahes 3, 6 and 8 at that point

steffiecox
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM
I also have a 3 yr old. I never took her on a road trip until she was 2.

Quoting polkaspots: It's actually pretty easy. You just plan on stopping every few hours. Babies are much easier than toddlers. Nurse and walk around, change a diaper and get back in the car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN