Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I am new here and have a few questions.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:07 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hi my name is Katie I am 21 And married we have been together for almost 4 years married for 8 Months. We have a 11 month old son name Daniel Jr. And we are going to try and have another baby and I have been thinking about breastfeeding with the new baby. because its healthy and it's cheap with my son I have spent so much money on formula it's crazy. I think I can breast feed because I'm still leaking and my son almost a year. My questions are is it hard with a 1 year old? Can I do it? Can I work? How often do u breast feed threw day and night? Do u get depressed?
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mommys2babies
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Its possible. Depends on baby on how often. Good luck mama
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM
Newborns generally nurse between every 1-3 hours. It's kind of hard to have a newborn and a toddler, but not in the breastfeeding aspect. I have a 4yo, a 2yo and a two month old.
Yes you can do it, yes you can work. No I don't get depressed? Breastfeeding helps reduce your chances of ppd because of the hormones it releases.
For info on going back to work and pumping check out kellymom.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Awsomemom08
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:11 AM
Thank u but that still doesn't help with any of the other questions I asked.

Quoting mommys2babies: Its possible. Depends on baby on how often. Good luck mama
Awsomemom08
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank u .

Quoting polkaspots: Newborns generally nurse between every 1-3 hours. It's kind of hard to have a newborn and a toddler, but not in the breastfeeding aspect. I have a 4yo, a 2yo and a two month old.

Yes you can do it, yes you can work. No I don't get depressed? Breastfeeding helps reduce your chances of ppd because of the hormones it releases.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this
What she said!
Welcome to the group! You will learn a lot just from reading the posts. There is some great information in the resources sticky post at the top of the group. Kellymom.com is the go-to website for good breastfeeding information.
You will have to forget everything that you know about infant feeding because breastfeeding is completely different than formula feeding. You can do it if you arm yourself with knowledge and are determined to do it. Feel free to ask anything and everything that comes to mind.

Quoting polkaspots: Newborns generally nurse between every 1-3 hours. It's kind of hard to have a newborn and a toddler, but not in the breastfeeding aspect. I have a 4yo, a 2yo and a two month old.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 6:13 AM
For breastfeeding at night, co-sleeping helps tremendously. You can side-car the crib or co-sleeper to you bed so you can pull the baby over to nurse and slide her back when she's through. Google this for pictures and information on the safe way to do this. In the hospital, tell anyone who is around that you are nursing; nothing goes in the baby's mouth but your nipple. The colostrum you make at first is all your baby needs. Nurse every time the baby wiggles. Do not worry about how often or how long baby feeds.

Depression can happen, and if it does, can be safely treated without interrupting breastfeeding.

Many mothers work and breastfeed. Most pump every 2-3 hours while away from baby. You nurse when you are with the baby.

Your older child can sit with you or play near you while you nurse. I had a basket of toys, videos and books that were only used while nursing. Using a wrap or sling lets you nurse on-the-go while tending to your older child.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Awsomemom08: My questions are is it hard with a 1 year old?
The friends I have with more than one recommenda three year age difference; they've found younger is very difficult. With or without breastfeeding; but breastfeeding made it easier.
Can I do it? Can I work?
Absolutely. Big fat myth that one must stay home to nurse; the most successful nursing moms I've known were NOT SAHM but worked 40-60 hours a week.
How often do u breast feed threw day and night?
As often as baby needs. If you expect the worst... baby NEVER coming off the breast... then you can be pleasantly surprised at any other result. In the first six weeks, though... baby won't come off the breast for much more than a few minutes. That's normal.
Head to the bookstore and pick up a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. Great basic book.
Do u get depressed?
I didn't. Some moms do. Some moms don't. All variations are normal.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:17 PM

My questions are is it hard with a 1 year old?

My first 2 are 17 months apart and I breastfed both. WAY easier to breastfeed while chasing a toddler around! No bottles to fix, etc. It may feel harder at first while you get the hang of it, but once you do, so much easier.

Can I do it?

If you want to you can :-)

Can I work?

Yes. I worked part time when my first 2 were babies. Lots of working and pumping moms in this group.

How often do u breast feed threw day and night?

It's different for every mom and baby. For newborns, the average is 10-14 times in 24 hrs, then it usually drops down to 8-12 times in 24 hrs. Nursing at night is easy, no bottle to fix!

Do u get depressed?

Breastfeeding actually lowers your risk of depression. When you breastfeed your body releases hormones which relax you. Getting enough sleep is a factor in depression as well, and there are studies that show that moms who exclusively breastfeed get more, quality sleep than moms who bottle feed or combo feed.

angelchewning
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Hi Katie! Welcome to the group! I'm Angel, I only have one ds but we are ttc #2 so I'm not sure about toddler and newborn nursing just yet but I'll let you know what I find when I find it. Ds has been bf since birth and I know that if you want to you can do it. You need to be open to change and flexible. You are no longer on your own schedule you are on your babies. Being able to bf Jack had been the single greatest accomplishment and experience of my life. Even with all the difficult times we've had (thrush, nipple tenderness, latch solving) now that we've solved the issues it is way way way easier than the pain in the butt I watch my ff friends go through (packing filtered water and formula powder and bottles everywhere) as long as I've got my boobs (and I always do lol) then Jack and I can go anywhere anytime!

I'm also a full time working mom. So that's completely possible too. I work 40 hours minimum in a high demand job at a financial institution. I pump 3 times a day by giving up my breaks including my lunch break to pump for baby. This to me is entirely worth it. It is a short term commitment for a lifetime of benefits for both me and him. (Reduced rate of many diseases including obesity, asthma, breast cancer, uterine cancer, and so on). You will want to invest in a good double electric pump. Many insurance companies will provide you a pump for little to no cost out of pocket. If you'd like I would be happy to help you find out if your ins company does.

Your lo will probably nurse every 2-3 hours while you are together if not more. Don't let the thought of this deter you. Once you get the hang of it it becomes very easy to nurse and do other things simultaneously.

I experienced no depression with the exception of the first few days post partum. And even then I was definitely not depressed, but would tear up and cry at anything lol. It Was as if my eyes were leaking for about a week. But that changes woman to woman birth to birth regardless of bf. So if you experience depression talk to your Dr right away. Any questions about anything feel free to ask!

t

Quoting Awsomemom08: Hi my name is Katie I am 21 And married we have been together for almost 4 years married for 8 Months. We have a 11 month old son name Daniel Jr. And we are going to try and have another baby and I have been thinking about breastfeeding with the new baby. because its healthy and it's cheap with my son I have spent so much money on formula it's crazy. I think I can breast feed because I'm still leaking and my son almost a year. My questions are is it hard with a 1 year old? Can I do it? Can I work? How often do u breast feed threw day and night? Do u get depressed?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)