Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

3 Month Old Won't Take Bottle

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM
  • 19 Replies
My 3 month old used to take a bottle once or twice a week while my mom watched her while I ran to the store, but now she just licks the tip of the nipple or gums it. My first daughter stopped taking a bottle around this time as well and never took one until my milk supply dropped when I got pregnant again. I've tried a Tommee Tippie bottle and putting the bottle under my armpit to make it feel like she was being nursed and it's not working. Help!
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
his88angel
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:10 AM
You shouldn't feed her bottle. You are confusing her. If you are going to give her a bottle let someone else do it
KristinD1988
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I EBF my daughter but I also pump for when I am at school and somebody is watching her. Also just to havea few bottles in the fridge just in case. My daughter won't take a bottle from me, barely ever. It has only worked a few times. Like my mom says, would you want a bottle when the tap is right there? Haha.

i've had better luck giving her a bottle the few times when I wasn't holding her like I normally would when I nurse her. Try a different position. 

We had a problem the ONLY time me and my BF went away for one night and her grandparents were watching her she refused a bottle for about 8 hours. She went to sleep for the night and then finally took one when she normally wakes up at 4AM to eat. Babies won't let themselves starve, when she is hungry enough, she will eat, bottle or breast. 

Also, if you try and she refuses and then you give her the breast, she knows that. Don't be so quick to offer to nurse after she refuses a bottle. 

Rj10033
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:30 AM
She won't take it from anyone else either. She just screams when she's hungry until I get back from the store and can nurse her.

Quoting his88angel: You shouldn't feed her bottle. You are confusing her. If you are going to give her a bottle let someone else do it
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM
If you're gone less than 3 hours I wouldn't even bother leaving milk. Nurse right before you go and nurse when you get back.

Quoting Rj10033: She won't take it from anyone else either. She just screams when she's hungry until I get back from the store and can nurse her.

Quoting his88angel: You shouldn't feed her bottle. You are confusing her. If you are going to give her a bottle let someone else do it
Rj10033
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM
I should try a different position. Thanks! At least my second screams and then falls asleep and doesn't just scream for 2 hours while I'm at the store like my first. I'm sure she isn't starving.

Quoting KristinD1988:

I EBF my daughter but I also pump for when I am at school and somebody is watching her. Also just to havea few bottles in the fridge just in case. My daughter won't take a bottle from me, barely ever. It has only worked a few times. Like my mom says, would you want a bottle when the tap is right there? Haha.

i've had better luck giving her a bottle the few times when I wasn't holding her like I normally would when I nurse her. Try a different position. 

We had a problem the ONLY time me and my BF went away for one night and her grandparents were watching her she refused a bottle for about 8 hours. She went to sleep for the night and then finally took one when she normally wakes up at 4AM to eat. Babies won't let themselves starve, when she is hungry enough, she will eat, bottle or breast. 

Also, if you try and she refuses and then you give her the breast, she knows that. Don't be so quick to offer to nurse after she refuses a bottle. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Nurse right before you leave. If you're only going to the store, she won't need a drop before you return. (Unless your shopping trips take 3-4 hours or more.)

You can also try a cup. She's been old enough for one since birth. Remove the spill proof valve. Caregiver tips, baby sips.

What's IN the bottle? Pumped milk or formula? If the latter, that may be the reason for refusal.

Rj10033
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:43 AM
That is what I try to do, but she doesn't always want to nurse before I leave to drop her off at my mom's. Most of the time, if I'm gone, it's less than 3 hours, but once a month my husband and I go out on a date and if he wants to go get dinner and see a movie, we can't because we'd be gone for over 3 hours. And if I ever had an emergency and someone had to watch her for longer, I would want her to take a bottle.

Quoting K8wizzo: If you're gone less than 3 hours I wouldn't even bother leaving milk. Nurse right before you go and nurse when you get back.

Quoting Rj10033: She won't take it from anyone else either. She just screams when she's hungry until I get back from the store and can nurse her.

Rj10033
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM
She used to take formula in a bottle for the first 2 months when I was gone. So I don't see how that could be the issue. But if it is, my supply is too regulated for me to pump most likely. She comfort nurses and doesn't take a pacifier so every drop seems to go to her. But I could try it and see what happens.

Quoting gdiamante:

Nurse right before you leave. If you're only going to the store, she won't need a drop before you return. (Unless your shopping trips take 3-4 hours or more.)

You can also try a cup. She's been old enough for one since birth. Remove the spill proof valve. Caregiver tips, baby sips.

What's IN the bottle? Pumped milk or formula? If the latter, that may be the reason for refusal.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't worry about it. She'll either take it or she won't. If she slept 5 or 6 hours straight at night you wouldn't worry that she was going to starve. She'll be fine. She'll nurse like crazy when you pick her up. In the event of an extraordinary emergency, she would likely hit a point where she would take the bottle.

Quoting Rj10033: That is what I try to do, but she doesn't always want to nurse before I leave to drop her off at my mom's. Most of the time, if I'm gone, it's less than 3 hours, but once a month my husband and I go out on a date and if he wants to go get dinner and see a movie, we can't because we'd be gone for over 3 hours. And if I ever had an emergency and someone had to watch her for longer, I would want her to take a bottle.

Quoting K8wizzo: If you're gone less than 3 hours I wouldn't even bother leaving milk. Nurse right before you go and nurse when you get back.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:30 AM
2 moms liked this

My 3 month old won't take a bottle either. At all. He did the first day or two I went back to work but now it's nada. I'm gone 8-9 hours every day for work. It's perfectly fine and I certainly wouldn't worry if I was only gone for 3-4 hours! Try not to worry about it. If she's THAT hungry, she will eat. Just have the caregiver offer the bottle and if she refuses, no big deal. Both my kids have reverse cycled and it's actually nice because it takes the stress off pumping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)