Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

3 Month Old Won't Take Bottle

Posted by   + Show Post
My 3 month old used to take a bottle once or twice a week while my mom watched her while I ran to the store, but now she just licks the tip of the nipple or gums it. My first daughter stopped taking a bottle around this time as well and never took one until my milk supply dropped when I got pregnant again. I've tried a Tommee Tippie bottle and putting the bottle under my armpit to make it feel like she was being nursed and it's not working. Help!
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:08 AM
Replies (11-19):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:43 AM
This, exactly.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I wouldn't worry about it. She'll either take it or she won't. If she slept 5 or 6 hours straight at night you wouldn't worry that she was going to starve. She'll be fine. She'll nurse like crazy when you pick her up. In the event of an extraordinary emergency, she would likely hit a point where she would take the bottle.

Quoting Rj10033: That is what I try to do, but she doesn't always want to nurse before I leave to drop her off at my mom's. Most of the time, if I'm gone, it's less than 3 hours, but once a month my husband and I go out on a date and if he wants to go get dinner and see a movie, we can't because we'd be gone for over 3 hours. And if I ever had an emergency and someone had to watch her for longer, I would want her to take a bottle.

Quoting K8wizzo: If you're gone less than 3 hours I wouldn't even bother leaving milk. Nurse right before you go and nurse when you get back.

Quoting Rj10033: She won't take it from anyone else either. She just screams when she's hungry until I get back from the store and can nurse her.

Quoting his88angel: You shouldn't feed her bottle. You are confusing her. If you are going to give her a bottle let someone else do it
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 18, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Yep!

Quoting K8wizzo: This, exactly.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I wouldn't worry about it. She'll either take it or she won't. If she slept 5 or 6 hours straight at night you wouldn't worry that she was going to starve. She'll be fine. She'll nurse like crazy when you pick her up. In the event of an extraordinary emergency, she would likely hit a point where she would take the bottle.

Quoting Rj10033: That is what I try to do, but she doesn't always want to nurse before I leave to drop her off at my mom's. Most of the time, if I'm gone, it's less than 3 hours, but once a month my husband and I go out on a date and if he wants to go get dinner and see a movie, we can't because we'd be gone for over 3 hours. And if I ever had an emergency and someone had to watch her for longer, I would want her to take a bottle.

Quoting K8wizzo: If you're gone less than 3 hours I wouldn't even bother leaving milk. Nurse right before you go and nurse when you get back.

Quoting Rj10033: She won't take it from anyone else either. She just screams when she's hungry until I get back from the store and can nurse her.

Quoting his88angel: You shouldn't feed her bottle. You are confusing her. If you are going to give her a bottle let someone else do it
ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this
My son did fine alternating bottle and breast. My daughter who is 4 months refuses a bottle. Like she took one one time and never again. I've pretty much just given up. I should probably try more but it's so frustrating. Sometines if you get the right bottle they will take to it. Some babies are very picky! But I have tried 8 different ones and nothing lol
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm going threw the same issue right now. My dh was able to get ds to take one twice, and now it's a fight. We're attempting to introduce bm via the dropper when he's not starving to get him used to receiving mommies milk in other ways then just mommy. I wanted to try the cup attempt, but my dh and I agreed that if he doesn't take a bottle by 6 months then we will try the cup
Rj10033
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Everyone keeps saying to use Tommee Tippie and that's not working. Have you tried the mimijumi bottle yet? I've heard that it's supposed to be good for EB babies, but they're expensive so I haven't tried one yet.

Quoting ishldbcooking: My son did fine alternating bottle and breast. My daughter who is 4 months refuses a bottle. Like she took one one time and never again. I've pretty much just given up. I should probably try more but it's so frustrating. Sometines if you get the right bottle they will take to it. Some babies are very picky! But I have tried 8 different ones and nothing lol
Rj10033
by New Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 5:52 PM
I never thought of the dropper idea. That seems like a good idea.

Quoting mama_pink_tink: I'm going threw the same issue right now. My dh was able to get ds to take one twice, and now it's a fight. We're attempting to introduce bm via the dropper when he's not starving to get him used to receiving mommies milk in other ways then just mommy. I wanted to try the cup attempt, but my dh and I agreed that if he doesn't take a bottle by 6 months then we will try the cup
ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this
My daughter wont take them but that's all my son would take for the longest time. Also try playtex nurser with drop ins. My daughter wont take it but I know a lot of women who's babies only use that one and it's not too terribly expensive

Quoting Rj10033: Everyone keeps saying to use Tommee Tippie and that's not working. Have you tried the mimijumi bottle yet? I've heard that it's supposed to be good for EB babies, but they're expensive so I haven't tried one yet.

Quoting ishldbcooking: My son did fine alternating bottle and breast. My daughter who is 4 months refuses a bottle. Like she took one one time and never again. I've pretty much just given up. I should probably try more but it's so frustrating. Sometines if you get the right bottle they will take to it. Some babies are very picky! But I have tried 8 different ones and nothing lol
ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006YPTWHC/ref=pd_aw_sims_2?pi=SS115

http://www.evenflofeeding.com/producto.asp?seccion=Bottles%20and%20Nipples&codigo=284

http://www.evenflofeeding.com/producto.asp?seccion=Bottles%20and%20Nipples&codigo=189

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004H1TD7E/ref=pd_aw_sims_10?pi=SY115

Here are a few different style bottles I found that I plan to try with my LO

Quoting Rj10033: Everyone keeps saying to use Tommee Tippie and that's not working. Have you tried the mimijumi bottle yet? I've heard that it's supposed to be good for EB babies, but they're expensive so I haven't tried one yet.

ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Where do you live? PM me your address and I will see what I can do about sending you one of my mimijumi's. I don't use them anymore and you could at least see if she will take it before you spend the money

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)