Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am I the only one with an unsupportive husband?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband supported me breastfeeding until she was born.  Since then he's been pushing me to put her "on the bottle".

A little back story, he has a 2 year old from a previous relationship.  He was a very fussy baby until he was 8 weeks old when she stopped breastfeeding and put him on formula.  From then on he was a very good baby, content, slept through the night, and just very happy.  His mother was drinking, popping pills, and in general eating very poorly so it was best he was on formula anyway.   

Our daughter is 4 months old and has been a very fussy handful since day 1.  She is very gassy, hates to be put down, only poops every 5-7 days, and does not sleep through the night.  When I'm home with her she nurses every 2 hours.  I've changed my diet and that has helped with her discomfort.  He thinks I'm not making enough and that my milk is bad and that's what her problem is.  He makes comments about me starving her.  At daycare she has free access to all the milk she wants and she just isn't a big eater.  I hate that he no longer supports me.  This is my only baby and ultimately my decision and I won't give up, I just wish he was supportive of my desire.  And I remind him, if she goes on a bottle, that means you have to get up with her at night.  He laughs and I know it's because he won't but that's not the point.

Has alone else had an unsupportive SO?  How did you cope? 

Her diaper count is good and she's growing.  Slowly, but definitely growing.

by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Replies (41-44):
Eternity807
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:39 AM

I don't think I have an oversupply but think I do have an OAL.  We do a lot of reclined nursing to help with this.  I am also told as she gets older she will be better at handling it.

Quoting justone_jen: Mine knows better, honestly. If he can't be bothered to research and understand the dynamics of a breastfed baby, I wouldn't be bothered to entertain his bullshit, baseless suggestions. But, I'm one of the more, eh, bitchy(?) members here.

Have you ruled out an oversupply/OAL?

Eternity807
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Quoting ishldbcooking: Mine was fussy for a while and turns out she wasn't nursing long enough on one breast, resulting in too much foremilk. The hindmilk (the stuff that comes out last) helps the tummy from getting too gassy. Also, you can get gas drops. Don't give up. BF is the best thing tou can do. I'm sorry he is not supportive, that can make it very hard. It is your decision and he should want what is best for LO as well.

I give her gas drops before bed each night.  I think it helps her calm down and sleep.  Her gas in general doesn't seem to cause her much discomfort.  She just farts all the time.  :)  I'm not going to give up.  We've made it this far, why stop now?

ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Good for you! It gets easier with time. Hopefully he will come around :)

Quoting Eternity807:

Quoting ishldbcooking: Mine was fussy for a while and turns out she wasn't nursing long enough on one breast, resulting in too much foremilk. The hindmilk (the stuff that comes out last) helps the tummy from getting too gassy. Also, you can get gas drops. Don't give up. BF is the best thing tou can do. I'm sorry he is not supportive, that can make it very hard. It is your decision and he should want what is best for LO as well.

I give her gas drops before bed each night.  I think it helps her calm down and sleep.  Her gas in general doesn't seem to cause her much discomfort.  She just farts all the time.  :)  I'm not going to give up.  We've made it this far, why stop now?

anitaredd
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Whenever I complain about breastfeeding dh says wean that baby. Jill is 10.5 months old and my goal is one year, anything beyond that is optional. We only have a couple weeks so we'll make it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN