Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pediatric Surgeon for fixing lip tie?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM
  • 7 Replies
DD had her 15 month check up yesterday, and I finally decided to see if my DD's Ped knew anything about lip ties. She told me that in pediatrics there are times when they think they are a problem, and times when they think they aren't, and this is one of those times when they think they aren't a big deal. I hope that makes sense. She did look at my DD, and said that yes, she has one (which I knew; it goes practically from the bottom of her lip to the bottom of her gums and she has a bad gap from it, but it hasn't caused any issues other than gassiness and spit up when she was younger. I didn't have any pain after the first month, until her top teeth started coming in in October, and now they are leaving dents and are scraping when she pulls off), and gave us a list of numbers to call that are pediatric surgeons. Should I even bother calling them? I thought dentists and ENTs did those kind of procedures. When I had mine fixed at 7, I was referred to an oral surgeon by my dentist/orthodontist (he was both). Unfortunately, DD is on Medicaid and we can't afford to pay out of pocket, but I would like to get this dealt with sooner rather than later so it doesn't cause more problems down the road.

We live near Cleveland, if that info is needed. And if we do get it fixed, since she's older, it won't cause her to decide to wean, or cause her to have issues trying to figure out how to latch or anything, will it?
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:48 PM
Call them. Do NOT be picky!
mnmbaby
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM
I didn't mean to sound like I was being picky, I just had never heard or a surgeon fixing them. I think of surgeons as people who do big things, like take out gall bladders and cut off limbs and stuff. I'm more confused than anything, really.

Quoting mama-smurf: Call them. Do NOT be picky!
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Go with whoever has the most experience. A pedi surgeon did my son's circumcision. An ent with tons of experience did his ties.

Quoting mnmbaby: I didn't mean to sound like I was being picky, I just had never heard or a surgeon fixing them. I think of surgeons as people who do big things, like take out gall bladders and cut off limbs and stuff. I'm more confused than anything, really.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM
I would get a lip tie fixed for the dental problems alone. We've seen baby after baby have badly decaying front teeth because that tight lip traps the bacteria against the teeth.

Btw, I live near Cleveland, far west side. I know a nearby mom who is a member of this group who had lip and tongue ties fixed on her kids. I can try and get a name from her.
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Oh ok but yeah if u can get anyone to do it, besides back alley, take it!

Quoting mnmbaby: I didn't mean to sound like I was being picky, I just had never heard or a surgeon fixing them. I think of surgeons as people who do big things, like take out gall bladders and cut off limbs and stuff. I'm more confused than anything, really.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:37 PM
In the resources sticky, there is a post from Poodlemum with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers who revise ties. Check it out! :-)
mnmbaby
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Ok, thanks. :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: In the resources sticky, there is a post from Poodlemum with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers who revise ties. Check it out! :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)