Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

husband just isnt as supportive of my breastfeeding as id like him to be.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
  • 14 Replies
I have been breastfeeding for almost a month now and hubs just is not the most supportive one. I mean he supports it but is deffinatly not very encouraging of it I guess? To him he just don't get it. He don't understand all the wonderful Benefits and things it brings to me and my daughter. I guess I thought he would be almost proud that I have stuck with the breastfeeding and I am doing it Considering it's not what majority of moms are doing Expecially where I live. He gets embarrassed at all the stares I get when I bf in public even though I am covered up completely he gets almost aggravated. I'm so proud of myself for doing this and the bond it has given to me and my daughter. I feel empowered as a woman for this. And he just don't get it. I wish sometimes hubs was more of the sensitive type......
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelchewning
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. My dh is very supportive of me with exception of nip. Is that the issue for you too? He fully supports my decision to let ds self wean and I've found for nip he is happier if I nurse in the car or in a dressing room our something like that while in public.
amberNewman0213
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM
I think that's more of what it is. He says I am just an attractive woman and he sometimes feels guys are trying to get a peak. I am always covered though. Can't let baby go hungry.

Quoting angelchewning: I'm sorry to hear that. My dh is very supportive of me with exception of nip. Is that the issue for you too? He fully supports my decision to let ds self wean and I've found for nip he is happier if I nurse in the car or in a dressing room our something like that while in public.
justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd carry on, and tell him to get over it, personally. We'll support you. :)

ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:04 AM
My dh is very supportive but he also gets a little wierd when I do it in public even though I cover up. Dont give up, you are doing the right thing! Men will never fully understand anyway. And you should feel empowered! It is tough to stick with, especially during those first couple months. Way to go, doing this with little support. Just remember we are here and we all support you!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:56 AM

Well, it might not make him feel very secure to know the pervs stripped you naked the seocnd they saw you even without nursing. Because that's what they do. 

My husband was worried about it, and I told him he was actually making me MORE visible by trying to cover me. When he stopped, everyone stopped noticing.

hip2it
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 6:20 AM
My dh has always been supportive but in the beginning he hated nip. Even in the car he'd want me to cover up bc people were walking by. Now he doesn't care. "Just give him the boob!" It calms him right down whether he's hungry or not. I wonder how I ever made it as a bottle feeding mama. :)
angelchewning
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 8:41 AM

yea i know how you feel. i dont use a cover or anything cuz ds wont let me and if i try to use a cover he smacks it off and draws more attention to us lol. so i just find a discrete place for us to go instead. i always remind him that NIP is only gonna happen until hes a year old and is extremely rare for me even now. once hes a year and can have real food before nursing there really wont be a need to nip. i find that satisfies him.

Quoting amberNewman0213: I think that's more of what it is. He says I am just an attractive woman and he sometimes feels guys are trying to get a peak. I am always covered though. Can't let baby go hungry.

Quoting angelchewning: I'm sorry to hear that. My dh is very supportive of me with exception of nip. Is that the issue for you too? He fully supports my decision to let ds self wean and I've found for nip he is happier if I nurse in the car or in a dressing room our something like that while in public.

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:08 PM
I came to the group today to post this exact thing! My dh is fine with me nursing at home, even in front of my ss16 and younger boys, even his dad. But he is driving me crazy with NIP! We are very often 3+ hours from home at the hospital... Baby has to eat! Yesterday we were in the car after the appt and he offered to drive into an alley so I could nurse WTF! Baby was screaming bloody murder at Red Lobster last night and he was more upset by me NIP with my back to everyone than baby causing a scene! He's driving me crazy too, sorry no advice I just needed to vent!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM
Mine was the same way at first. It just took time for him to get over it. By our third child he was on board (I know that doesn't help!). Stand your ground, talk to him before leaving the house to let him know you will need to feed the baby, and he's going to have to be ok with that because baby needs to eat, etc... Hopefully talking right before for a little while will prevent the bad reaction in the moment, kwim?
happymommy1105
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM
What do you want him to do?

Is he undermining you and giving baby formula?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)