Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

husband just isnt as supportive of my breastfeeding as id like him to be.

I have been breastfeeding for almost a month now and hubs just is not the most supportive one. I mean he supports it but is deffinatly not very encouraging of it I guess? To him he just don't get it. He don't understand all the wonderful Benefits and things it brings to me and my daughter. I guess I thought he would be almost proud that I have stuck with the breastfeeding and I am doing it Considering it's not what majority of moms are doing Expecially where I live. He gets embarrassed at all the stares I get when I bf in public even though I am covered up completely he gets almost aggravated. I'm so proud of myself for doing this and the bond it has given to me and my daughter. I feel empowered as a woman for this. And he just don't get it. I wish sometimes hubs was more of the sensitive type......
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Replies (11-14):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Maybe explain to him how you are proud and how important this is to you and baby and how having his support is important to you.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Staying covered while you are nursing versus using a nursing cover can mean the difference between getting reactions and stares and none. I fiound that most of the time people did not even notice I was nursing. I don't know if you are using a cover or not, but if you are, you might consider ditching the cover. This article explains why and there is also a link at the bottom about helping yoru parter be more comfortable with you nursing in public:

Breastfeeding In Public

To cover or not to cover. That is the question. What if you want to breastfeed your baby, but you don't want anyone to "see anything"?

Why is nursing in public (aka NIP) such a big deal right now anyway?

I had my first baby in 2000, almost 12 years ago. He was exclusively breastfed. I breast-fed him whenever and wherever we were the entire 14 months that I was nursing him. Special "nursing covers" were a lot less popular back then, though I did see them on occasion. I never used a cover or blanket to try and "hide" what we were doing. I'm pretty modest and don't like to draw attention to myself. I was uncomfortable at the thought of exposing my breast to someone, so I quickly learned how to lift my shirt just enough to slip baby onto the breast.

I found I drew little attention from the public when I was nursing my baby. I began to realize, what many moms have since told me, that most people don't even realize that you're breastfeeding. When you are nursing your baby, without a cover. most people think you are holding a sleeping baby.

I LOVE this photo (above) because the mom in the picture reports, "My mom posted it on Facebook three days ago and JUST NOW realized that baby was nursing!"

Now, 12 years later I'm nursing my third child. It is making me crazy that so many women do not feel comfortable nursing in public. Many think that in order to be "discrete" or because they feel modest that a cover is the way to go. The reality is using a cover draws MORE attention. If you want  no one to notice you, just nurse!

My message: Just do it!

Who is drawing more attention? This mom:

Or this mom?
Udder Cover

Do you see anything that needs to be covered up? Anything mom should feel embarrassed about?

Do you see any breasts?

This really says it all:

http://jonirae.com/

A BIG thanks to the moms from Cafemom who shared their NIP photos with me and allowed me to use them in this post.

More

Be sure and check out this blog!

Nursing in Public: Understanding that supporting breastfeeding means supporting breastfeeding in public.

Favorite articles about breastfeeding in public:

7 Tips for breastfeeding in public stress free (includes video on how to nurse in an Ergo)

NHGal
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I agree with the PP that if you are using a cover, that could drawing more attention then if you were not using a cover, hence the extra looks.  I know that only a month in, NIPing can be awkward and the cover gives you the privacy.  I hate to say it, but even I do a double take when I see a nursing cover and I am heading into 3 years of nursing between my 2 girls.  

IDK where you are NIPing, but if I am out at the mall, I try and go to a department store with a furniture section - less traffic and comfortable seating.  I have had at least 2 instances where the sales associate was within a couple of feet of me and then only realized what I was doing.  

Good luck!

MinaPR
by Mina on Feb. 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM
My ex husband would try to cover me when I NIP. The boys didn't like it! My DD's dad is very proud that his DD's are breastfed, he brags that his daughters are very smart because of the BM. My youngest hates to be covered so even if he tried she wouldn't allow it. I used to be shy... that was 3 kids ago, LOL! I don't care anymore, when the baby is hungry, I feed her. Good for you! Hopefully the men went back home and told their wives about the brave mom at the doctor's office!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)