Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question about thrush

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM
  • 15 Replies
So I've been suspicious that LO had thrush for a little while now. Some redness on his bum, sensitive/red nipples, and little white in his mouth. Within the past few days, though, I'm in excrutiating pain when he latches, but only on one side, the other side feels fine. I don't have any trauma to the nipple (like cracking or bleeding like I had before his ties were clipped), but it hurts so bad. Is it common to have pain only on one side? It also happens to be the side that he favors and spends more time on, if that makes a difference.
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:59 PM
You may have a plugged duct as well, or the pain may be from the thrush itself. Look up thrush on kellymom.com. All the best remedies and procedures are listed. Treat both of you.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I don't have any lumps or anything, and I've been using warm compresses and warm water in the shower and nursing on that side a lot.

We just started using GV tonight, so hopefully I'll notice a difference soon. It feels like how he nursed when he was a newborn with terrible ties :/

Quoting MusherMaggie: You may have a plugged duct as well, or the pain may be from the thrush itself. Look up thrush on kellymom.com. All the best remedies and procedures are listed. Treat both of you.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:06 PM
Yeah. Its normal to have pain from thrush..whenever I have had thrush I would treat it aggressively, it can he subborn!
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:09 PM
I know the pain can be normal, I was just wondering if it was normal for it to only be on one side? We started treating it tonight with GV. Hoping to nip it in the bud!

Quoting Precious333: Yeah. Its normal to have pain from thrush..whenever I have had thrush I would treat it aggressively, it can he subborn!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM
I have had it hurt one side first and then it became both sides.

Quoting LeapBaby123: I know the pain can be normal, I was just wondering if it was normal for it to only be on one side? We started treating it tonight with GV. Hoping to nip it in the bud!

Quoting Precious333: Yeah. Its normal to have pain from thrush..whenever I have had thrush I would treat it aggressively, it can he subborn!
ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 11:57 PM
Is GV the purple stuff?
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 19, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Yes. Very purple! ;)

Quoting ishldbcooking: Is GV the purple stuff?
irishmama1007
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:14 AM

I seem to only get it on 1 side so very normal for me. Right now I have it on my right side only. I agree with pp if it is thrush treat aggressively because it will come back or just never go away.

hashemisgreat
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 9:53 AM

how does the GV work , do i take it or give it to the baby ?

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:35 AM
I think I read kellymom (or one of the links on kellymom) to use a qtip or cotton ball to cover the nipple and areola then latch baby on so it gets in his mouth. Do it to the other side too, using a clean qtip. They suggested doing it before bed. But be warned, it's VERY messy and stains so wear clothes you aren't worried about ruining and I'd suggest laying a towel down in baby's crib or your bed (if baby cosleeps). Oh and it suggested doing it once a day for 3-4 days

Quoting hashemisgreat:

how does the GV work , do i take it or give it to the baby ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN