Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So I've been suspicious that LO had thrush for a little while now. Some redness on his bum, sensitive/red nipples, and little white in his mouth. Within the past few days, though, I'm in excrutiating pain when he latches, but only on one side, the other side feels fine. I don't have any trauma to the nipple (like cracking or bleeding like I had before his ties were clipped), but it hurts so bad. Is it common to have pain only on one side? It also happens to be the side that he favors and spends more time on, if that makes a difference.
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Replies (11-15):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Do this too as you can still pass it back and forth even with using GV:

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.
Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, and inside of cheeks.
Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:54 PM
Quoting hashemisgreat:

how does the GV work , do i take it or give it to the baby ?

Go to a pharmacy and get Gentian Violet. It is a small bottle that costs between $1.50-$10 depending on the brand and concentration. Call pharmacy first to see if they have it in stock. If not they can usually order it and it will come in the next day.
Take a cotton ball and swab your nipples with it and latch baby on. This stuff stains so wear old clothes until its faded. This should only take 3-4 days and thrush should be gone.

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.
Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, and inside of cheeks.
Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.
hashemisgreat
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM

thank you

Seximama23
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM
Is gv only available in the pharmacy itself?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 21, 2014 at 5:21 PM
Some places have it on the shelf and others keep it behind the counter.

Quoting Seximama23: Is gv only available in the pharmacy itself?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)