Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need support :(

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM
  • 27 Replies

I don't know what to do. I want to stop breastfeeding, because although my son doesn't have teeth, he bites with his gums and pulls off the boob without opening his mouth, which is causing me extreme pain. I feel like I am dealing with his first month of life again, because it hurts just as much...if not more. He is 8 months old today and I feel like a failure if I go to formula... Am I the worst mom ever for this? I sure feel like I am right now :(

by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boolie79
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Have you looked up nursing manners? I haven't yet but hear a lot if the ladies here talk about teaching it to help. Regardless NEVER feel like a failure! You have done awesome! If this doesn't work, can you pump and feed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Quoting jasyoung2012:

I don't know what to do. I want to stop breastfeeding, because although my son doesn't have teeth, he bites with his gums and pulls off the boob without opening his mouth,

It will be FAR easier to teach him to stop biting. Here are all our biting resources:

Biting

WHEN BABIES ATTACK! How to stop a baby from biting.
how to stop biting?

biting!  
Is biting a sign of weaning?  
She bites! Help  

which is causing me extreme pain. I feel like I am dealing with his first month of life again, because it hurts just as much...if not more. He is 8 months old today and I feel like a failure if I go to formula... Am I the worst mom ever for this? I sure feel like I am right now :(

Hell no, you're not. The only bad mom is the one who beats her baby. But you don't need to quit for this. Just teach him not to bite. He won't like the lesson. That's OK. If he liks everything you do, you're doing the Mom Job wrong. **grin**

jasyoung2012
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:10 AM

I can't pump as often as I would need to. My son sees the pump and starts to cry, he hates when I use it :( I can do it for some meals but not many. I'll look up nursing manners though, thanks!

Quoting boolie79: Have you looked up nursing manners? I haven't yet but hear a lot if the ladies here talk about teaching it to help. Regardless NEVER feel like a failure! You have done awesome! If this doesn't work, can you pump and feed?

jasyoung2012
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:15 AM

I'll try to not make myself feel like crap about this, but I will try some of those ideas and see if it helps...

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting jasyoung2012:

I don't know what to do. I want to stop breastfeeding, because although my son doesn't have teeth, he bites with his gums and pulls off the boob without opening his mouth,

It will be FAR easier to teach him to stop biting. Here are all our biting resources:

Biting

how to stop biting?

biting!  
She bites! Help  

which is causing me extreme pain. I feel like I am dealing with his first month of life again, because it hurts just as much...if not more. He is 8 months old today and I feel like a failure if I go to formula... Am I the worst mom ever for this? I sure feel like I am right now :(

Hell no, you're not. The only bad mom is the one who beats her baby. But you don't need to quit for this. Just teach him not to bite. He won't like the lesson. That's OK. If he liks everything you do, you're doing the Mom Job wrong. **grin**

justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Remove him and set him in a safe place every. single. time. he chomps down. He'll learn.

He's probably teething.

justone_jen
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:24 AM

And no, you're not the worst mom ever. You're hurting, and conflicted. Breathe.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this

You're only allowed to feel like crap if you've hit the baby. If you haven't, then feeling like crap is not allowed. **smile** (I don't throw pity parties; I crash them and trash them!)

The info in those links is tested by lots of moms here. We've also found that it helps to give baby teething remedies before latching. 

Quoting jasyoung2012:

I'll try to not make myself feel like crap about this, but I will try some of those ideas and see if it helps...

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting jasyoung2012:

Biting

how to stop biting?

biting!  
She bites! Help  

jasyoung2012
by Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Well I would never hit him so I guess I shouldn't feel bad...I'm just having a rough time with his teething :(

Quoting gdiamante:

You're only allowed to feel like crap if you've hit the baby. If you haven't, then feeling like crap is not allowed. **smile** (I don't throw pity parties; I crash them and trash them!)

The info in those links is tested by lots of moms here. We've also found that it helps to give baby teething remedies before latching. 

Quoting jasyoung2012:

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting jasyoung2012:

Biting

how to stop biting?

biting!  
She bites! Help  

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 2:33 AM
Every time he does it punish him. Tell him no biting and stop nursing him for a few minutes.
He will learn not to bite, this is just a phase.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2014 at 3:02 AM
The fact that he's had ONE DROP of breastmilk makes you a success. Now, to solve the problem:: treat the teething pain 15-30 minutes before nursing.. You can use Hyland's teething tablets, frozen breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder, amber teething necklace (Google for this), Tylenol, or infant ibuprofen (6 months and older is safe). You can teach nursing manners; kellymom.com has an excellent article on this. Also, lanolin or coconut oil can be your nipples' best friend again--use either liberally, and no need to wipe off before nursing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN