Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I don't know what to do. I want to stop breastfeeding, because although my son doesn't have teeth, he bites with his gums and pulls off the boob without opening his mouth, which is causing me extreme pain. I feel like I am dealing with his first month of life again, because it hurts just as much...if not more. He is 8 months old today and I feel like a failure if I go to formula... Am I the worst mom ever for this? I sure feel like I am right now :(

by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Replies (21-27):
ladybugchick317
by on Feb. 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Have you tried pumping so that you are still bf

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 19, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Do it with NO reaction at all. He seems to enjoy your reaction and may continue the behavior just to get the reaction. Try to say nothing and just put him down.

Quoting jasyoung2012:

I say OW that hurts, but he thinks the word ow is funny. I'll give anything a try at this point though, so definitely trying again.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

HUGS momma, you arent a failure to stop but I dont believe that is your only choise, when a child is actively nursing they cannot bite, so work on watching active nursing and also when he does bite unlatch him, touch his motuh and say OW you hurt mommy and put the breast away for 5 min before offering again

jasyoung2012
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 12:02 AM

Yes, but I'm never able to pump much, so I feel like I wouldn't have enough for him to eat :(

Quoting ladybugchick317:

ladybugchick317
by on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I did formula with both of mine. You are not a failure if you change over.

Quoting jasyoung2012:

Yes, but I'm never able to pump much, so I feel like I wouldn't have enough for him to eat :(

Quoting ladybugchick317:

yellow14
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this
My son also did this too about 7 months old , when he bites take away the breast and say no, they will eventually learn it. It takes time
KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM
1 mom liked this
You do not have to stop nursing! Like another poster said, it is easier to stop the behavior than to pump or give formula! I followed the same advice you have been given and it worked (not overnight). Be consistent & do the same thing each time he bites. Eventually it will work. I would say, "you don't bite. That hurts mommy." Then I would put him on the floor (away from toys) and leave the room. He figured out that biting=no milk. Period. He learned and stopped biting. Hang in there!
ishldbcooking
by Member on Feb. 20, 2014 at 10:16 PM
You are not a bad mother! But it will pass if you think you can stick it out. Every time he bites, take him off and say no very firmly and put him down. He will start to understand. My 5 month old does this sometimes and it's horrible! Either way you decide to go, don't feel bad.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)