Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What's your 1 piece of advice for new breastfeeding Moms...?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
  • 42 Replies
Hi! I'm new here. I am 29 w pregnant with baby #2! My first is a boy who is almost 7. After 30+ hours of labor he was wisked away to the NICU and fed 3 bottles before I could even see him. Once back to the room he wanted nothing to do with me after those drippy bottles they give! It just wasn't fast enough. So after 2 days of him screaming and me frustrated we just stuck with bottles. 6.5 years later I am pregnant again and determined to breast feed!

So, I'm asking...what is ONE piece if advice you have for a new breastfeeding Mom!? Any all all info is accepted! :)
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabenmikeysmom
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Hang in there. You can do it.
It will get easier.
Lansinoh is your friend.
Drink tons of water.
It may hurt a little or be uncomfortable at first but that will go away. If for some reason it doesn't go away after a cpl or 3 weeks, baby isn't latched right.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
This isn't the most important piece of advice, but it's not something I've ever seen someone else say. The big thing that helped me deal with the pain was ice water through a straw. I also used ice cubes on my nipples after daytime feedings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlgray1988
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM
What exactly is Lansinoh?

Quoting gabenmikeysmom: Hang in there. You can do it.

It will get easier.

Lansinoh is your friend.

Drink tons of water.

It may hurt a little or be uncomfortable at first but that will go away. If for some reason it doesn't go away after a cpl or 3 weeks, baby isn't latched right.
gabenmikeysmom
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this
It's a lanolin product that comes in a purple tube. It works for everything from chapped lips to sore nipples to diaper irritation to eczema.

Quoting jlgray1988: What exactly is Lansinoh?

Quoting gabenmikeysmom: Hang in there. You can do it.

It will get easier.

Lansinoh is your friend.

Drink tons of water.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Do not allow baby out of your sight after birth, unless it's because one of you is going to the morgue.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:36 AM

And hie thee to the bookstore for a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. Read it through before you buy ONE piece of baby gear. (That's actualy my standard advice for new moms.)

wintermoon111
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:38 AM
there is a cream you can put on before birth to toughen the nipple and there are nipple gaurds that help
gabenmikeysmom
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Also, nurse on demand. You don't have to limit to one side for x amount of minutes and then switch for x amount of minutes.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Lansinoh doesn't toughen the nipples but soothes them; nothing toughens them. They are already as tough as can be.

The guards should not be used unless the nipples are wounded; they can cause more problems then they fix.

Quoting wintermoon111: there is a cream you can put on before birth to toughen the nipple and there are nipple gaurds that help

lil_mom2010
by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM
2 moms liked this

At first it hurts because your nipples are NOT used to it. (My baby has such a strong suck that I was RAW). Do NOT give up.

Drink a ton of water!

Bella B nipple cream is my favorite and worked WAY better then Lanolin! 

I have been through several issues. Refusing to latch, raw nipples, sygrine feeding, bottle feeding, nipple shield for WEEKS, and now that we broken from the nipple shield I am getting used to pain from my extremely short nipples being stretched at first when she latches (Lasts at most 45 seconds).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN