Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Those who weaned at a year.....

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM
  • 23 Replies

I plan on weaning at a year. Having him weaned at a year. We still have 3 months before Thaddy is a year old, but Im going insane on trying to figure out how to feed him once he is weaned. I plan on giving him cows milk, unless he ends up showing an allergy to it. I plan on feeding him whatever we are having, no mashed, pureed, or jarred baby food, which we still occasionally give him. So my question is. How much food do you feed a one year old who no longer is getting breastmilk (or formula for that matter)?

As of now, I believe Thaddy would eat 24/7 if we allowed him. Im worried of just letting him eat until he quits on his own, because he NEVER quits until the food is taken out of his site. Obviously he eats a bit slower than us, but one day we went out to eat and I ordered a side of grean beans and ham for him. We sat there a whole hour and he didnt stop eating once in that hour. He didnt eat the whole side dish, because I slowly gave him pieces to munch on. I wanted to space it out. But he did eat 3/4 of it in that hour, and he still yelled for food as I was getting him ready to go. He sees it, he eats it. 

I dont want to overfeed him, ever. But I also dont want to underfeed him once he is done getting breastmilk. I have tried looking on line and everything I find is "toddler portions" or "1-4 year old portions". One year olds and 4 year olds cant possibly need the same amount. He has his 9 month check up tomorrow, and I plan on asking them, because I dont want to wait to ask them at his 12month checkup, because I need to know before we reach the point of needing it!

by on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom22boys333
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I weaned at 2 but by 1 both boys ate everything. Feed when he's hungry, he'll eat alot sometimes and not so much other times.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

First, if you want him weaned AT one year, you need to start replacing feedings now, one per week with formula.  After his birthday, switch that formula to whole milk.  You'll want him to have about 16 oz of whole milk or 4 toddler servings of dairy (a toddler serving is 1/2 the size of an adult serving).  Children from age 12 months to 4 years need about 1400 calories per day and their nutrient requirements are the same when it comes to recommended daily amounts of vitamins and minerals.  Feed him what you're eating, healthy meals, in portions about half the size of what you eat.  If he's still hungry, offer more fruits and veggies.  For snacks, I always try to hit at least 2 food groups.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Feb. 24, 2014 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We were weaned just after a year (and it wasn't by choice, my choice, at least)... her solids intake increased DRAMATICALLY.   We had days with several fits because I was completely unprepared for the food needs of a non nursing toddler... She'd be throwing herself on the floor screaming (or waking up in the middle of the night screaming) and I was at a loss about the problem... until it dawned on me... oh, yea, I have to feed you more food.  She was still taking donor milk throughout the night for a couple months, and then we did water once that ran out and now she only needs water overnight every once in a while.   I typically fed her a separate dinner while I was making dinner because she just wouldn't make it to dinner time (ONLY time I have ever done that for any of my kids).  

She will eat ALL day if I let her... she's a little pig, but her weight gain as completely stalled since weaning (she's 20 mo now, so 7-8 mo ago and she hasn't gained a full lb yet.).

Just keep everything healthy and nutrient dense.   It's tempting to offer crackers all day long... but it's not beneficial.   Cheese, yogurt, fruit, veggies, nuts, dried fruit, etc... she'll eat more than my almost 5 year old (but not as much as the 8 year old!).  She is intollerant of milk (and how I WISH she would just nurse!), so we just do cheese, yogurt and kefir.

Like PP said, if you want to BE weaned at a year, you have to start subbing with formula now. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I've got no advice, but good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Go with the toddler servings. As they get older they start to live on air and the occasional chicken nugget. I've known four year olds to eat less than one year olds!

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't really have advice on the weaning.

However, I really don't think most one year olds will over eat.  I have two boys (out of my 6 kids) that ate all day long and ate huge portions of food at meal times (adult size +)  They were never overweight.  I just trusted that they knew what they needed.  :D  They both are active and the oldest is now 8 and is SUPER tall.  I think he needed all that food for all the growth he was doing.

Feed him healthy stuff and don't worry about how much!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If you will allow him to nurse only 3-4 times a day, he will need no other milk. I would wait to start weaning at a year if that is what you want. For these last three months, he should still nurse before solids and breastmilk should still be the main and major source of calories. If you start now, you will have to replace each dropped feeding with.a bottle of formula.No need for purees, nor was there ever. Just let him sit with you at meals after nursing and have whatever you're having. At a year, drop one feeding per week until they're all gone, or until you have him down to what you can manage. Start with the one he is least interested in.
Momma2013
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I'm just curious if there's a reason you want to wean so soon? I'm not trying fight or anything, but I have a 1 year old who really just isn't ready to be done nursing. They are still so much like a baby and the only thing I can tell you is this, when you're nursing, you don't have to worry if they eat enough of A, B, and C but just that they nurse when they need to.

I plan on ds weaning whenever he is ready but now that he's 1 year I don't have to worry about if I go to the store what if he's hungry, because now if he's hungry dh can just give him some food. Like you, we also are just doing table foods. We completely skipped the pureed stuff. If it's on my plate, it's going in his mouth. Just to give you an idea(Idk where you're at) but I make my plate with extra 1/2 of what I eat to put on his tray and he just helps himself. When he's 15 months or so we'll start expecting him to use a plate for his food and not make such a mess, but he eats at least 90% of what he is given so it's not dirty, just needs washed like the other dishes and allows me to space his food out and take smaller bites.

I haven't seen it posted yet so - CONGRATS on making it 9 months!!!!

Mamasita7176
by Member on Feb. 24, 2014 at 6:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm still nursing at 9 months. I plan to be wean by 1 year. Or at least be done pumping! I'm not gonna offer formula if not necessary. We offer whatever we eat and she gets a morning and afternoon bottle of bm. Also, I give cold bm in a sippy cup with meals (I usually pump an extra 3oz plus I have a freezer stash)! Then I nurse on demand afternoon, evening, and overnight when she wakes. Many days she eats more than my 5-year old! You'll learn how much he needs by trial and error. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Until 1 year, breastmilk or formula needs to be the source of the majority of baby's nutrients. If you are going to wean by one, those cups of breastmilk and nursing sessions must be replaced with formula--24 oz if you're not nursing at all--or you risk malnutrition.

Quoting Mamasita7176:

I'm still nursing at 9 months. I plan to be wean by 1 year. Or at least be done pumping! I'm not gonna offer formula if not necessary. We offer whatever we eat and she gets a morning and afternoon bottle of bm. Also, I give cold bm in a sippy cup with meals (I usually pump an extra 3oz plus I have a freezer stash)! Then I nurse on demand afternoon, evening, and overnight when she wakes. Many days she eats more than my 5-year old! You'll learn how much he needs by trial and error. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)