Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lots of Grunting = Food Sensitivity?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM
  • 11 Replies

My baby is 1 month old and seems very happy. He isn't a fussy baby, he doesn't spit up much, and he doesn't even burp that much, when he fusses I nurse him and that always makes him happy. He nurses every hour and half much of the day and night, sometimes more often, and then with a few longer stretches during naps or the first part of the night. This all seems pretty typical to me. 

He does grunt a lot while sleeping, in fact many nights both DH and I wake up thinking he is fussing and he isn't even awake, he is just making a ton of grunting noises (he does not appear to be straining like trying to poop, he just makes the noises). When he does poop its typical mustard/seedy poop and he has started having them only once a day (he skipped yesterday), which again seems typical for his age.

I just thought he was a noisy sleeper  (both of my sister's babies grunted like this in their sleep as well, we just thought they were noisy sleepers), but today the pediatrician heard him grunt and asked if he did it in his sleep and I said yes a lot. She says this is from a food sensitivity (something in my diet) and suggested that I remove tomotoes (including sauces), broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, strawberries, etc. and if he is still grunting that I remove all dairy. 

I am just wondering anyone else's experience with a grunting newborn as the only symptom and possible food sensitivity. 

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 27, 2014 at 3:33 PM

This is a new one on me, but what I'm finding says dairy is the issue.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Weird, never heard that and my kids have food allergies. The list of foods she gave makes me think that she's not well informed, as cruciferous vegetables are common gas causes for those who eat them, but that fiber that causes the gas doesn't pass into breastmilk.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM
This!

Quoting K8wizzo: Weird, never heard that and my kids have food allergies. The list of foods she gave makes me think that she's not well informed, as cruciferous vegetables are common gas causes for those who eat them, but that fiber that causes the gas doesn't pass into breastmilk.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM
At one month, everything they do, from sneezing to farting involves their whole bodies. His poop sounds wonderfully normal. He should still be pooping every day, though. You can try eliminating dairy, but it takes 4-6 weeks for it to get out of the baby's system.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM
At 4 weeks it's okay for them to start spreading poops out.

Quoting MusherMaggie: At one month, everything they do, from sneezing to farting involves their whole bodies. His poop sounds wonderfully normal. He should still be pooping every day, though. You can try eliminating dairy, but it takes 4-6 weeks for it to get out of the baby's system.
staci1103
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Idk funny u posted this, my ds who's 13 weeks grunts and groans while he's a sleeps.  We call him a little gremlin.  

MinaPR
by Mina on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:13 AM

I would begin by eliminating the diary... My DD has allergies and I ended up having to eliminate the diary and the tomatoes (including salsas)...

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM
2 moms liked this
A grunting newborn is perfectly normal. There's actually a term coined "Grunting Baby Syndrome". Both my kids did this and my son stopped around 7 weeks. I don't remember when my daughter stopped. I really don't think it sounds like a food sensitivity.
collinsmommy0
by on Mar. 1, 2014 at 12:11 PM
My little one grunts in his sleep - he did it a lot as a newborn & it stopped around 4 months. But when I eat any milk product he throws up. His older brother is highly allergic to cows & goats milk, he never grunted.

If there's a food issue, it is most likely cows milk or soy. And you would likely see other symptoms - spit up, body rashes, neon green poop, low weight gain

http://adventuresinallergies.wordpress.com
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 1, 2014 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
All 4 of mine were "gruntlings". ;-) The noises of my first seemed so unnatural and scared the crap out of me. Grunts, squeaks, whines, whistles. I don't remember the time frame.

Quoting stepconfused182: A grunting newborn is perfectly normal. There's actually a term coined "Grunting Baby Syndrome". Both my kids did this and my son stopped around 7 weeks. I don't remember when my daughter stopped. I really don't think it sounds like a food sensitivity.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN