Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Feeling sad :-( Tiny pity party lol

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
My husband is going to give our daughter her first bottle this evening to see how she does before she starts daycare next week. I've been ebf'ing since she's been born 7 weeks ago. I don't know why I feel sad about it. I got this dumb notion she'll like a bottle better than me for some reason. So irrational, I know.
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM
4 moms liked this
No need for him to do this. When the time comes, hand the caregiver baby, bottle, and a copy of "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" from kellymom.com. If he does give the bottle, you should pump during that time to keep your supply up. While you're gone, she only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, fed with her held in a sitting position, slowed flow nipple, and burped after every ounce.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Time to crash this pity party. **grin**

Are you going to be present while this bottle is given? If so, change of plans. Get out of the house. The biggest cause of bottle failure is mom's presence. And to be honest, the "taking a bottle" clock resets daily. So she might take it tonight and reject it tomorrow and take it again the next two days and reject it at day care.

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
I know how you feel. It made me sad too when my son had to start a bottle when I went back to work. And don't worry: baby will miss you and will be happy when you come home to nurse!
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, what they said! ^^

tinkerkowski
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM
Well she took it, I was in the kitchen cooking while dh gave it to her. I guess I was hoping secretly she'd cry for me and I could save the day lol. I work at the daycare she's attending so if she gives them a hassle, they'll have no choice but to call me. They can only let her go so long with refusing a bottle :-D
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Feb. 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
As long as the bottles are small and fed using the paced feeding method that Maggie described above, there is a better chance that she won't prefer them.
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:34 PM
If you work at the same daycare then why do you have to give a bottle. Will they not allow you to nurse her when it's time for her to eat?

Quoting tinkerkowski: Well she took it, I was in the kitchen cooking while dh gave it to her. I guess I was hoping secretly she'd cry for me and I could save the day lol. I work at the daycare she's attending so if she gives them a hassle, they'll have no choice but to call me. They can only let her go so long with refusing a bottle :-D
tinkerkowski
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Unfortunately no. I can only go in to nurse her on my breaks or lunch. I wish I could say I'll get my breaks at the appropriate times that line up with her feedings and didn't need to bring bottles, but I never get out on break or lunch at the right time. They're so not sympathetic or accommodating
melindabelcher
by mel on Feb. 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM
Make sure the bottles are no bigger then 2-3 oz and only given every 2-3hrs. And there shouldn't be any bottle preference.
tinkerkowski
by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM
I'm hoping to nurse more than give the bottles, in a perfect world that would happen
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN