Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

possible constipation?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:54 AM
  • 37 Replies
Baby is 8 weeks old today. She hasn't had bowel movement in 3-4 days. I can tell her belly hurts because she cries when she farts and grunts a lot. Her gas has the most horrible odor to it as well. I've tried burping more. Over the knee on her belly. Gas and gripe water. Nothing works. I've even used miralax to no end and nothing. I'm just lost because when she's awake she is so crabby from lack of sleep. I'm at my wits end what do I do??
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 6:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jllybny83
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:06 AM
Prune juice will clear her right up. Put some in a bottle with her milk.
kisha89
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:10 AM
How much?

Quoting Jllybny83: Prune juice will clear her right up. Put some in a bottle with her milk.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:15 AM
NO!!!! No juice for a baby under 6 months!!! It is completely normal for poop to slow down after 6 weeks. Constipation is not "days of not going"; it's hard dark pebbles of poop, which is almost unheard of for a breastfed baby. Some babies take a while to get used to the workings of their bowels. By 9 weeks all 4 of my babies were pooping once every 3-10 days. We've seen babies here go 20 days without a poop.

Quoting kisha89: How much?

Quoting Jllybny83: Prune juice will clear her right up. Put some in a bottle with her milk.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:15 AM
She's only eight weeks old!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:16 AM
She's too young for juice. Bicycle her legs in some warm water, check her tummy for hardness.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:18 AM
No Miralax, either. No glycerin suppositories. No qtips up the butt. The longer the interval between poops the stinker the gas. And the fact that the gas is moving along proves the baby isn't impacted with hard constipating stool. Try warm baths and infant massage.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Feb. 28, 2014 at 7:21 AM
Yes, this. Nothing in baby but breastmilk. Just keep nursing. What you're seeing is completely normal.

Quoting mostlymaydays: No Miralax, either. No glycerin suppositories. No qtips up the butt. The longer the interval between poops the stinker the gas. And the fact that the gas is moving along proves the baby isn't impacted with hard constipating stool. Try warm baths and infant massage.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:06 AM
No juice! Just nurse. My second would go once a week and he was fine. Constipation is pooping hard pellet like poop, not lack of poop.
shortyali
by Alicia on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Add to that list No Karyo syrup!! I've seen that go around as a suggestion a lot in other groups on here.

Quoting mostlymaydays: No Miralax, either. No glycerin suppositories. No qtips up the butt. The longer the interval between poops the stinker the gas. And the fact that the gas is moving along proves the baby isn't impacted with hard constipating stool. Try warm baths and infant massage.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Yes, NO KARO SYRUP. Botulism risk. And just unnecessary here. Nothing is broken, nothing to fix. In fact all these "solutions" cause problems. Even an ounce of juice disrupts the infant's gut.

Quoting shortyali: Add to that list No Karyo syrup!! I've seen that go around as a suggestion a lot in other groups on here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN