Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Why won't he nurse??! UPDATE: it's getting worse :( UPDATE 2: *pic*

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM
  • 58 Replies
Baby is 8 weeks. For the past few days, he will only nurse for about 2 minutes. I know, I'm not supposed to time him, but it's so unlike him to nurse for such a short amount if time. And in those 2 minutes, he unlatches/relatches/cries MULTIPLE times. He acts starving (rooting, trying to latch to anything within a mile of his face) and will initially latch vigorously, it just doesn't last. He's also been spitting up a ton, which ordinarily wouldn't concern me, but with him nursing so little, it feels like he's spitting up everything.

Diapers are still good, though his poop is still green.

Any ideas on why this could be? Is it a problem or something I should just let run its course?

UPDATE: his fussiness at the breast is getting worse. He now only has about 1-2 decent nursing sessions (to where he'll stay latched for more than 2 minutes) a day and the rest are nightmares. He'll suck maybe 4 times (if I'm lucky) and then pull off and scream. None if the teething remedies worked, we were just at the pedi and she said his ears were fine. Not only is it extremely frustrating, I'm starting to worry he isn't eating enough. He is still having 6 diapers, but they aren't as soaked and his overnight diaper (10pm-5am) is only barely wet.

UPDATE 2: I'm just going to keep updating this post instead of repeating myself. Anyway, do you think this rash on his face could be thrush? He gets milk all over his face with his frequent unlatchings, and this rash is exactly where he gets milk. I didn't really think anything of it, but the rash coincides with his serious fussiness. He does have a chiropractor appointment Tuesday and I'm trying to get an appointment with my ibclc.

Picture on page 5
by on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Do you have overactive letdown/oversupply?  My babies acted like that when I did. I reclined nursing to help the show the flow down.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM
I guess it's possible, but reclined nursing doesn't change anything. He doesn't gulp or choke or anything.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Do you have overactive letdown/oversupply?  My babies acted like that when I did. I reclined nursing to help the show the flow down.  

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I am not sure then. Maybe a growth spurt.  Maybe some other ladies could help.

Quoting LeapBaby123: I guess it's possible, but reclined nursing doesn't change anything. He doesn't gulp or choke or anything.
Quoting Mom2Just1:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 28, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Oh and also, I pumped this morning and after I offered the already pumped side, he still acted that way.

Quoting Mom2Just1:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Does he do this with both sides or one side? Ears or teeth come to mind immediately, with ear problems being more likely at this age.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM

He does it on both, though he tends to stay on the right a little better. Ears as in ear infection? I thought maybe teeth because he has been drooling and chewing on his hands, but he's only 8 weeks...

Quoting gdiamante:

Does he do this with both sides or one side? Ears or teeth come to mind immediately, with ear problems being more likely at this age.

mommys2babies
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:55 AM
It could be his teeth. My son started drooling about 8 weeks but took until he was 4 months to cut a tooth
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM

They can be born teething. And teething is better than an ear infection!

Quoting LeapBaby123:

He does it on both, though he tends to stay on the right a little better. Ears as in ear infection? I thought maybe teeth because he has been drooling and chewing on his hands, but he's only 8 weeks...

Quoting gdiamante:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:14 AM
Treat teething pain--infant Tylenol, Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets, cold washcloth to chew on, frozen breastmilk in a mesh feeder. Will he relax and nurse in a warm tub once in a while?
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Feb. 28, 2014 at 11:35 AM
Last time I tried nursing in the tub he didn't like it, but he was really young and we were still dealing with ties at that point, so I'll try again. He does love the bath.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Treat teething pain--infant Tylenol, Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets, cold washcloth to chew on, frozen breastmilk in a mesh feeder. Will he relax and nurse in a warm tub once in a while?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)