Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Post Pardum Depression

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

DD is 4.5 months old.  I've been fighting depression and PPD since she was born.  Prior to getting pregnant I was on meds for depression, anxiety, and insomnia.  I stopped them to try and conceive.  So I haven't been on anything for over a year.  I came to the realization that for the sake of my child, myself, and my family, I need to get on meds.  I have a doctors appointment scheduled this week.  I've been delaying it because the side effects when I start a new round of meds are pretty bad.  I also don't want to have to quit breastfeeding.  But sadly, I HAVE to get medicated. 

So my question...has anyone been treated for this?  What meds did they use?  Did it have any affect on your supply?  I already struggle to supply enough for DD when she is at daycare so this is a big concern for me too.

Thanks ladies!

by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:41 PM
MANY moms take medications for post partum depression! There is no need to stop breastfeeding. Zoloft is the preferred medication for breastfeeding moms. There is a great article with a list on kellymom.com. Search antidepressants.
Merrick17
by Corrine on Mar. 3, 2014 at 12:47 PM
You don't need to stop bfing on most meds. I had ppd too, took zoloft for about two months after birth. It really helped and baby is fine. Go see your doctor and get some help. Good luck, I know how hard it is.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM
I've been on Zoloft and nursing.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 2:24 PM
You or your doctor can check out medications on Dr. Thomas Hale's Infant Risk Hotline at 1-806-352-2519. This is the gold standard for information on medication as it impacts pregnancy and breastfeeding.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM

What meds were you on before? Very likely you can resume them.  We've literally had HUNDREDS of nursing moms on depression meds here.

Eternity807
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM

I was on Prozac for depression and Amitryptiline for anxiety and insomnia.  I would not go back on the Amitryptiline until she is sleeping much better at night because it would make me a complete zombie unless I got atleast 6 hours of sleep and with my daughter I cannot guarantee that.  But I really need the Prozac or something like it. 

Quoting gdiamante:

What meds were you on before? Very likely you can resume them.  We've literally had HUNDREDS of nursing moms on depression meds here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)