Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hair loss?

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have always normally had some hair loss. A little shedding, if you will. But after a couple of months since I had my baby girl, it seems my shedding has gotten a lot worse. I loose hair in the shower washing it. Whenever I take my ponytail holder out I get a good amount of hair with it. When I try to style my hair I look at the floor where I'm standing and there are strand all over. Is this related to breastfeeding or just having children? And does anybody have a remedy?
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM
Just having children does it. I noticed it was worse around 4 months pp. I just kept taking my vitamins.
alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:22 PM
Yeah right around four months I lost a ton of hair. It seems to have slowed now at 5 months.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM
It is related to having babies. Your body doesn't shed like normal during pregnancy, so you shed extra hair after giving birth. I didn't really notice it much because I have always been a heavy shedder.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM
This, though I did notice mine and I've always been a heavy shedder anyway.

Quoting aehanrahan: It is related to having babies. Your body doesn't shed like normal during pregnancy, so you shed extra hair after giving birth. I didn't really notice it much because I have always been a heavy shedder.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:21 PM
Around 4 months after each of my babies I start losing gobs of hair. When I was my hair I stick the hairball to the side of the shower so it doesn't clog the drain. Half the time I forget it there and the kids are screaming about it. The hair loss seems worst at the sides of my head. Looks awful when it grows in, sticking straight out. :-( I have to be careful pulling my hair back or you see the thinning spots.
Marti123
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM

I feel your concerns. I didn't lose any of my normal hair during pregnancy and now my hormones are dropping around 5 months, and it is falling out in buckets. You can also get some delayed hair loss several months after a major stressful event, good new it will grow back, but still...........there is NOTHING we can do, I feel so gross, it's everywhere, even on the baby, and worse yet, occasionally in food I prepare, so awful, poor hubby is a good sport though!! I need to get hairnets, lol. 

Steph_G.
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:45 PM

The thing is that when you were pregnant you had a fuller hair and now that you are no longer pregnant you are going back to your normal hair level, which requires losing all of the excess. 

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:58 PM
Coconut oil, taken internally, helps hair and nail growth. I take two tablespoons a day, in coffee, cocoa or soup.
chickensmommy
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:02 PM
It could also be your thyroid. I have pp issues with my thyroid and have lost a lot of hair over it!
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Hormonal normal. My doc told me if it lasts more.than 3 months he would check my thyroid. It started at 3 months pp and ended at 5. When it grew back it looked like I had bangs. Lovely hormones!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)