Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

liquid gold!!!! :)

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM
  • 16 Replies
I bought a breast pump today and was able to get a good amount out of each for it being my first time. 3.5 oz from the right and almost 3 oz from the left!!!!! Was able to let daddy feed baby tonight. I'm so happy because once i get a supply built up i can sleep more through the night
by on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 3, 2014 at 8:42 PM
I wouldn't let dad give bottles too often at night unless you're pumping at every bottle or your supply will start to drop as you use your stashed milk instead. That's a pretty serious pumping session you got in there! :-)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:41 PM
2 moms liked this
This. You really shouldn't sleep when a bottle is given because you need to pump then to replace the feeding at the breast to keep your supply to meet the demands.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I wouldn't let dad give bottles too often at night unless you're pumping at every bottle or your supply will start to drop as you use your stashed milk instead. That's a pretty serious pumping session you got in there! :-)
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Mar. 3, 2014 at 9:46 PM
If someone gives baby a bottle you need to pump durning that time in order to keep up your supply. Even at night
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Normal pump output is .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined per session. You probably have oversupply right now which will regulate down the road. Bottles should only be given when you're not present. As mentioned above, you will have to pump while every bottle is given to maintain supply. Take a look a "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com; lots of information and proper bottlefeeding procedure described there.
tempy22414
by Member on Mar. 3, 2014 at 11:43 PM
It's mostly because I'm exhausted and was getting discouraged abd wanting to stop breastfeeding so i knew i had to do something before i gave up completely

Quoting aehanrahan: This. You really shouldn't sleep when a bottle is given because you need to pump then to replace the feeding at the breast to keep your supply to meet the demands.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I wouldn't let dad give bottles too often at night unless you're pumping at every bottle or your supply will start to drop as you use your stashed milk instead. That's a pretty serious pumping session you got in there! :-)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Just be careful so you don't shoot yourself in the foot here. Once every couple weeks is fine but regularly sleeping while dad gives bottles will drive down your supply. Personally I find pumping more discouraging than the nonstop breastfeeding. It gets easier I swear. On the flip side, pumping gets harder. Supply regulates and pump response declines and then you're pumping twice as much as you'd ever nursed.

Quoting tempy22414: It's mostly because I'm exhausted and was getting discouraged abd wanting to stop breastfeeding so i knew i had to do something before i gave up completely

Quoting aehanrahan: This. You really shouldn't sleep when a bottle is given because you need to pump then to replace the feeding at the breast to keep your supply to meet the demands.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:24 AM
That's understandable. Just don't let it be a regular thing or it can negatively affect your supply.

Quoting tempy22414: It's mostly because I'm exhausted and was getting discouraged abd wanting to stop breastfeeding so i knew i had to do something before i gave up completely

tempy22414
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:39 AM
Its not regular and i still pumped while he bottle fed him. Its just easier and quicker to pump at night than trying to put him on my boobs while I'm half sleep
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:35 AM

6.5oz in one session OMG wow thats amazing.  Keep in mind that wont stay that high, especially if you skip feeds.  Make sure you pump when bottles are given otherwise it can cause a major problem.  And sleeping at night? Yeah NOT a good idea unless you plan to wake and pump at the same time those bottles are given.  Learn how to cosleep safely, have daddy change diapers and stay up with her if shes just up being awake, but you need to do the feeding.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Oh yeah for sure its better to give a bottle here and there then stop.  I think most moms get discouraged because of unrealistic expectations that our society gives women about our babies and how they should eat and sleep and act.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)