Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Questions about weight gain

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:07 AM
  • 9 Replies

Dd was born Nov. 18th 7lbs 1oz . She dropped to 6lbs 9oz and at 14 weeks is 10lbs 8oz and 25 inches she was 19 at birth. Her dr seems to feel her gain is on the slow side. Dd1 is quite petite  38lbs at 6 yrs. I have a feeling he is going to push some  supplementing. This is something I don't want to do. He is not the only one hinting to it. Dd has a cleft lip and I think people just assume she can't bf properly. I think her weight is just fine...... I guess I need some encouragement or maybe I am being stubborn??  EBFing a baby with a cleft lip has not been easy but I think we have it really worked out and I don't want to mess it up unless it really is necessary. 

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:26 AM
1 mom liked this
We look for an average of one pound per month from lowest weight after birth. She is on target with this. Diaper count is your true indicator. You want a minimum of six diapers in twenty four hours with poopy and extra wet counting as two. Is she alert and meeting milestones? If all of this is happening, all is well.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:18 AM
She's gained 4 lbs from lowest weight in just about 3 months. She's overachieving and you're doing great! Good job, Mama!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 7:29 AM
By all accounts, like Maggie said, all looks completely on track. Shes not even 4 months but has already gained 4 lbs over lowest. And for Petes sake the older dd is a bitty thing. My older dd is 7 and 40 lbs so when her sister was looking like a tiny thing too they weren't surprised. They joke that our family has its own curve.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:15 AM

You're not being stubborn. The weight is MORE than fine... better than we'd expect WITHOUT a cleft lip!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Your baby has gained 4lbs in less than 4 months, yur LO gain is perfect, its your doctor thats a loon.  Keep doing what you are doing.  You are doing awesome with a cleft lip! I would expect an even lower gain!

Sri999
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:54 AM
My DD has always been on a slow weight gain, my dr never worried about her, he was always encouraging BF. He always said you are doing best. May be his encouragement has made me feed till a year and still going on. You are doing gr8.
AMCMSM
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Thank you! I needed to hear this. We have 6-8 wet diapers a day and she is very alert. She is chatty and kicks around. We are getting realllly close to a laugh. My dr has always been very pro BFing so my last appt. kinda threw me.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 3:14 PM
This! You're doing amazingly!!!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Your baby has gained 4lbs in less than 4 months, yur LO gain is perfect, its your doctor thats a loon.  Keep doing what you are doing.  You are doing awesome with a cleft lip! I would expect an even lower gain!

Mrsmayaguy
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Just smile and say ok at the doctors office.

Then do what your gut tells you to do.

You will make the right decision. Thats why you are the mom!

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)