Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Fresh vs. Frozen

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM
  • 19 Replies

Is it true that fresh milk is better than frozen? For daycare I send the milk I pumped the previous day (on Monday it is Friday's milk). Every now and then I have extra which I freeze. I have a pretty big freezer stash - probably 200 ounces or so. The frozen milk only gets used when my hubby and I have a date night or if I am out running errands away from the baby too long. I have been thinking that I should send the frozen milk to daycare before it expires but in my head I think that fresh is best and so I would rather my baby have fresh milk whenever possible. is this silly? Other moms at my daycare provide frozen milk only and the caregivers will prepare bottles as needed.

by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM
You are right. Fresh is better than frozen. Freezing kills some of the stuff in the milk, but is still healthy for the baby. You could look into donating the soon to be expired milk.
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:04 PM
Fresh milk is better, but it's not a huge difference. Whichever you send is great.
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM
I do half and half. This way I "re-fresh" my freezer stash but also make sure she gets some fresh milk with all of its good bacteria and stuff still intact.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Some moms do basically what you do but freeze Friday's milk and send frozen milk on Monday so that they can keep that freezer stash rotated.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM
I do this too. I always have frozen milk but there are days where I don't have any fresh milk.

Quoting MinaPR: I do half and half. This way I "re-fresh" my freezer stash but also make sure she gets some fresh milk with all of its good bacteria and stuff still intact.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mfk3
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM
I have always made more milk than nesesary. I have a miny stash worth for about 5-7 days (150oz) I always feed "from the tap" at home and give his babysitter 15-20 oz for the day, which is about 3-4 bottles depending on what's the last time he ate. But I always rotate it, I don't have milk older than 7 days not that I throw it away, its just I'm consistent on my rotation
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Does your baby take all of that while you're gone? How long are you separated? The daily need is about 24-30 ounces per day.

Quoting mfk3: I have always made more milk than nesesary. I have a miny stash worth for about 5-7 days (150oz) I always feed "from the tap" at home and give his babysitter 15-20 oz for the day, which is about 3-4 bottles depending on what's the last time he ate. But I always rotate it, I don't have milk older than 7 days not that I throw it away, its just I'm consistent on my rotation
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Fresh is best a bit of frozen here and there isnt bad.  Its up to you.  I donate my frozen but keep a staash of about 150 oz as a just in case.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM

UMM I think your baby is being way overfed, thats a HUGE amount and only being 3-4 bottles? yeah way too big bottles

Quoting mfk3: I have always made more milk than nesesary. I have a miny stash worth for about 5-7 days (150oz) I always feed "from the tap" at home and give his babysitter 15-20 oz for the day, which is about 3-4 bottles depending on what's the last time he ate. But I always rotate it, I don't have milk older than 7 days not that I throw it away, its just I'm consistent on my rotation

amandaut99
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Quoting MinaPR: I do half and half. This way I "re-fresh" my freezer stash but also make sure she gets some fresh milk with all of its good bacteria and stuff still intact.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)