Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breast to formula to breast again?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM
  • 9 Replies
My baby is 3 weeks old and I tried breast feeding in the hospital it worked upuntill we left. I still tried but she had bad jundice so I stopped. Now she is clear of the jundice and we are still doing formula. The problem I have is if I hold her close to my chest while feeding her she spits it out and tries to go for the breast. Is this normal and what should I do? I tried to let her feed from the breast she latched good just there wasn't enough milk in them. Please give me some kind of advice I'm wanting to do what can to breast feed but is it to late? My milk supply is very very low. How can I get back to breast feeding? Do I feed her from breast then go to bottle. Or stop formula all together I don't want to starve her
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM
1 mom liked this
It is not too late! Keep her skin to skin on your chest constantly. Latch her with every squirm and wiggle. Do breast massage and compressions to get the milk flowing easier for her. She will act like she's not getting what she wants because the bottles are so much easier and the formula sits heavier in her stomach. Nurse on side A until she comes off on her own, then switch to side B. Switch back and forth until she will no longer latch. If she still seems hungry, give about 1/2 ounce of formula using a dropper, syringe, cup, spoon, or SNS so she doesn't get the satisfaction of the easier bottles. The more she is at the breast, the quicker your supply will increase. Slowly decrease the amount of formula given until you are fully nursing. You can do it!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Quoting matthew314: My baby is 3 weeks old and I tried breast feeding in the hospital it worked upuntill we left. I still tried but she had bad jundice so I stopped. Now she is clear of the jundice and we are still doing formula. The problem I have is if I hold her close to my chest while feeding her she spits it out and tries to go for the breast. Is this normal and what should I do?
Yep, normal,. and let her. At three weeks there will be LOTS of milk there.
I tried to let her feed from the breast she latched good just there wasn't enough milk in them. Please give me some kind of advice I'm wanting to do what can to breast feed but is it to late? My milk supply is very very low.
based on? The only true indicator of supply is diaper count. Nothing else matters. There are women who can nurse twins without a drop of fromula... yet cannot get ANYTHING with the best pump in the world.
Only too late when you have your breasts surgically removed.
How can I get back to breast feeding? Do I feed her from breast then go to bottle. Or stop formula all together I don't want to starve her

Decrease the formula gradually. But put baby to breast FIRST. Let her stay there till she comes off on her own.  Burp, switch. Repeat as much as she wants.

OliverMe
by Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I supplemented within the first 3 weeks and have been doing so the entire time. My DS is 5 months, 1 week old. Don't stop BF. The more you allow her to nurse the more your milk supply will replenish. Also try to pump when you are supplementing. The bottles are easy and fast, but believe me once she latches and become consistent she will get all she needs. 

CafeMom Tickers
matthew314
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Thank you for the advice I will try. My hubby thinks I should just stick to formula though. But this is my last baby and I was unable to breast feed my two sons. I want to do this for her and for me. I feel like I'm a failure as a mom at this point cause I had to stop.

Quoting aehanrahan: It is not too late! Keep her skin to skin on your chest constantly. Latch her with every squirm and wiggle. Do breast massage and compressions to get the milk flowing easier for her. She will act like she's not getting what she wants because the bottles are so much easier and the formula sits heavier in her stomach. Nurse on side A until she comes off on her own, then switch to side B. Switch back and forth until she will no longer latch. If she still seems hungry, give about 1/2 ounce of formula using a dropper, syringe, cup, spoon, or SNS so she doesn't get the satisfaction of the easier bottles. The more she is at the breast, the quicker your supply will increase. Slowly decrease the amount of formula given until you are fully nursing. You can do it!
ABookLover
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Never too late you can do it
blessedmommy85
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM
If she will take the breast offer it before every single feeding, feed from both breasts then go back to the first breast again only offer the bottle if she still acts hungry.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 4, 2014 at 6:19 PM
This, but I'd offer both breasts 2-3 times. Offer only 1.5 to 2 oz of formula after she nurses and decrease that amount by one ounce total in 24 hrs every couple of days as you're able to.

Quoting blessedmommy85: If she will take the breast offer it before every single feeding, feed from both breasts then go back to the first breast again only offer the bottle if she still acts hungry.
stacy2607
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:07 PM
I posted this in your replies in the baby group..I thought I would post it here too for u...

I love to share my story when mamas ask if it's too late to nurse, or go back to nursing and will they have enough milk. . When my now 2 yr old was born I decided not to breastfeed.. and around a week old she stated having problems pooping..for a couple weeks we tried a bunch of things, switching formula a few different times. . After a few weeks, when nothing worked I decided that since I was still producing milk, I would try breastfeeding her.. and that helped, she started pooping normally..so I continued with exclusively breastfeeding and she was breastfed until she weaned herself at 15 months, when I got pregnant with my now 3 week old.. so it's never too late :) just keep putting baby to breast.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Quoting matthew314: Thank you for the advice I will try. My hubby thinks I should just stick to formula though.
Tell him thanks for your input. Then do what YOU want to do.
But this is my last baby and I was unable to breast feed my two sons. I want to do this for her and for me. I feel like I'm a failure as a mom at this point cause I had to stop.
Nope. Only a failure if you personally intentionally choked the life out of the baby. She got ONE DROP so you are ALREADY a success! Now we can build on that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)