Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

is bm a "clear liquid"

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM
  • 7 Replies
My baby will be put under GA for an MRI. Last time she was put under she couldn't have any food/nurse for 12 hours before but could have clear liquids like water (she got an IV for fluids that time). But I read somewhere bm is considered a clear liquid and can be consumed up until 3 hours before. Is this true? Where can I find this on LLL website or kelly mom? I want to take printed info to the hospital with me to avoid them arguing with me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM
http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-surgery/

This says "The most current studies say that babies can safely breastfeed 4 hours prior to surgery. Breastfeeding may be safely resumed when your baby leaves the recovery room."
iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you!

Quoting shortyali: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/baby-surgery/

This says "The most current studies say that babies can safely breastfeed 4 hours prior to surgery. Breastfeeding may be safely resumed when your baby leaves the recovery room."
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:12 PM
Yes! I hope you get some answers.
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Mar. 4, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Yes! Both not DDs have had it up to 3 hrs before GA.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Sometimes it's discouraging and hard to find a surgery center that's up to date on this. When my one ds had an eye surgery the pre admission people told me no breastfeeding after midnight. I told them I was pretty sure that was inaccurate. They admitted they never had anyone ask before. They ended up calling our main campus of the Cleveland Clinic and called me back to say it was ok up to 4 hours before surgery start. When my youngest dd had an eye surgery a couple years ago they told me 3 or 4 hours before was ok, no debate necessary.
iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:58 AM

I'm getting all my ducks in a row before I go.  I am calling that hospital's IBCLC today just to see what her experience has been.  Last time I wasnt too worried because she was refusing to nurse anyway, but we are finally back to nursing well so I am not denying her her new found love.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Sometimes it's discouraging and hard to find a surgery center that's up to date on this. When my one ds had an eye surgery the pre admission people told me no breastfeeding after midnight. I told them I was pretty sure that was inaccurate. They admitted they never had anyone ask before. They ended up calling our main campus of the Cleveland Clinic and called me back to say it was ok up to 4 hours before surgery start. When my youngest dd had an eye surgery a couple years ago they told me 3 or 4 hours before was ok, no debate necessary.

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Yes! :-) Good luck mama!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN