Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Getting Supply Up

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:28 AM
  • 15 Replies
My son nurses on demand and sometimes from both or just one side. I know he is getting enough because he has wet and poopy diapers and I can hear his gulps.

I'm going to be going to work soon and need to pump bottles. My plan is what I pump at work I will send to daycare the next day. But I try to do practice rounds for the first day and I can't get enough bottles. Even if I need to pump a bottle while I go somewhere and he stays home it takes me all day. I drink a lot of water. If I pump before he eats there isn't any left in the milk ducts until more is made but if I do it after none is left. I heard of Fenugreek but don't need to boost supply just get some pumped when needed.

What should I do?? Also when baby gets older and eats more does your body produce more to baby's needs??
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 5, 2014 at 4:07 AM
You have to train your body to respond to the pump. Start pumping first thing every morning. The baby on one side and the pump on the other will usually yield the most milk using the natural letdown from nursing. If baby won't go for that, pump a little while before nursing. Your body will get used to the pump and your output should get better.
What pump do you have? How long will you be separated? Look into reverse cycling if necessary.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 5, 2014 at 4:08 AM
The amount doesn't increase as the baby gets older. The composition of the milk changes to meet the growing needs in the same amount of milk.
shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 5, 2014 at 5:22 AM
One thing that helped me to stop stressing was to realize baby only needs 1-1.25ozs per hour I'm gone. At first, with DD, I thought I had to pump 6-8ozs for each feeding. Once I found out about the 1-1.25ozs per hour I relaxed some and that helped me pump. Also look at it this way too. At work you won't be nursing first then trying to pump, so you will get more. I agree with pumping 1st thing every morning 7 days a week. It helps a lot.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM

How much ARE you pumping? .5 -2 ounces per session is normal output, and baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

Pump between nursings, your baby will make your breasts make more as its needed, the production is pretty fast.  Pumps are something the body doesnt understand, if you pump every morning first thing you will find your body will react better and better to it.  What pump do you have?

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Also, I wanted to add-pumping while driving to work will help you get an extra session in per day without cutting into "work time". Also I find I get more while driving or multitasking (love pumping during conference calls) and I think its because my mind is on other things. GL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommietwobe
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Only about 4 ounces and that's both sides added together. He will drink four when pumped in a bottle when it's less he wants more.

Quoting gdiamante:

How much ARE you pumping? .5 -2 ounces per session is normal output, and baby needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour of separation.

mommietwobe
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:38 AM
I have a manual one I use. My insurance have me a very bad suction one Ameda. It doesn't do anything compared to my Medela hand pump. Though I want to get an electric one but scared it won't work like I need it to.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Pump between nursings, your baby will make your breasts make more as its needed, the production is pretty fast.  Pumps are something the body doesnt understand, if you pump every morning first thing you will find your body will react better and better to it.  What pump do you have?

mommietwobe
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:40 AM
So will he nurse longer?? Why us it with formula they up the powder and water dosage. ??

Quoting aehanrahan: The amount doesn't increase as the baby gets older. The composition of the milk changes to meet the growing needs in the same amount of milk.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM
Breastmilk changes in content to meet your baby's needs. Formula is the same all the time. Also, he might do better with small bottles more often. "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com explains this best. It also explains proper bottlefeeding procedure so he isn't being fed too fast. Being fed slowly allows his brain to register that his tummy is full.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN