Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How does it work?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:37 AM
  • 4 Replies
So people that breast feed and go on trips or whatever the case may be and are not ebf but pumping then you go back and try and the baby is not interested what do you do?? Keep pumping or put the baby on formula if the baby Is not getting enough??

Do breast fed babies take regular formula or need like soy or something??
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 3:44 AM
When lo was two weeks he got his ties clipped and we went from 90% pumping to 90% nursing. When he was three weeks my dad died and he was 90% pumping for about a week while I tried to handle everything. That was the second week of December. He hasn't had a bottle since New Year's Day. I just put him to the breast every time he was hungry.
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 5, 2014 at 6:13 AM

If you are planning to exclusively breast feed your baby, try not to use formula ever. The ideal thing is to nurse baby 100% of the time, but if for some reason, (work, ties, etc) that is not an option... If a bottle is needed, then the best is to pump and give pumped breastmilk. Formula should be given as a last resource when all else fails. So, when your baby is born, nurse, nurse, nurse. Lots of skin to skin, drink lots of water, eat well, and come back here to ask any question you might have. Good luck!!

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Most women who have to stop nursing because baby refuses the breast pump instead of using formula. Babies don't need soy unless they have a cow milk allergy.
But mom generally don't give bottles when they can nurse instead, so it's usually not a problem. When babies are bottle fed properly the don't prefer the bottle to the breast because they dont get as much milk or comfort.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I used to travel for ten days at a rtime. Never once had a refusal. But I also made it a strict policy that the bottle was only to be used if I wasn't there. I'd have kept pumping but I'll be honest; that wouldn't have lasted long with me and I'd have used formula. "Whatever baby will take" is the answer to your formula question.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)