Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Birth control

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 5:09 AM
  • 9 Replies
Hey ladies,
What form of birth control, if any, do you use?
I EBF my 4 month old and lately all we've been using are rubbers. I personally don't trust that because I've heard so many stories about how the rubbers have failed to do their job lol.
I don't need to be having a 3rd child anytime soon. So what do you recommend & what has proven effective for you? Thanks :)
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 5:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 5, 2014 at 6:07 AM

You can get a low-estrogen pill.

1stpreggers
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Lo loestrin fe it's a pill
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 5, 2014 at 6:11 AM
No. A progesterone only pill. Estrogen kills supply in most women. The mini pill is generally safe for breastfeeding. Honestly though, we used FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) with condoms on fertile days. It's a perfectly reliable option.

Quoting MinaPR:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM

All forms of birth control do have failure rates; the minipill can especially be a problem because if you miss a pill then it's not effective. The minipill must be taken at the same time daily.

The IUD seems to work better; you don't have to remember it. But it must be inserted and removed by a doctor.

I don't particularly recommend our method: It was called unemployment. And then it was called "motorcycle accident." Two names for essentially the same thing! **smile** Fertility awareness plus condoms does work; check out tcoyf.com.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:47 AM

If used correctly condoms are one of the most effective BC methods..I am very fertile and used them for almost 3 years til we tried to get pregnant again.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:48 AM

NO WAY no estrogen pills!!! they will dry up supply even if low estrogen

Quoting MinaPR:

Merrick17
by Corrine on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I use condoms too. Easy peasy and i don't have to worry about supply. I won't use any pill because the stress of worrying about supply is just not worth it to me. My best method really though was going back to work full time. I have no time or desire right now. Ugh.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:36 AM

This.

Quoting K8wizzo: No. A progesterone only pill. Estrogen kills supply in most women. The mini pill is generally safe for breastfeeding. Honestly though, we used FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) with condoms on fertile days. It's a perfectly reliable option.
Quoting MinaPR:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Mar. 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM
This except I usually avoided the fertile days because my ex refused to use condoms.

Quoting K8wizzo: No. A progesterone only pill. Estrogen kills supply in most women. The mini pill is generally safe for breastfeeding. Honestly though, we used FAM (Fertility Awareness Method) with condoms on fertile days. It's a perfectly reliable option.

Quoting MinaPR:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN