Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Had trouble gaining, now this?

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:41 AM
  • 17 Replies
Dd has had trouble gaining. She went for her 6 month appointment and was formally classified as failure to thrive and we were immediately sent to children's hospital. That was Friday, fast forward to today, Wednesday, and she just had a weigh in. I think they are wrong or our plan is way too many calories.

Wednesday: 4.995 kG
Tuesday; 4.795 kG
Monday: 4.705 kG

Monday to Tuesday wasn't bad since it was only three ounces. But if my math is correct Tuesday to Wednesday was 7 ounces. That seems way too fast. Almost half a pound in 1 day!!

Her eating routine:
Breast feed for about 20 mins on 1 side
Solids consisting of Gerber stage 3 meal (1/2 jar), 2-3 teaspoons of infant oatmeal, 1 ounce of pumped breast milk.

She refused anything out of a bottle. So that is why I pump and give her the breast milk mixed in. The oatmeal is added to thicken the food since she likes the texture better.

Is that too much? I'm pretty sure we are going home today and at he she will be getting my cooking instead of processed baby jars so I think that May take the calorie counts down a little. Also they have me feeding just 1 side for 20 minutes and cutting out her comfort nursing at night because it burns too many calories. Does that make sense?

Just trying to figure out a plan that works for me.

Weight history post:

She was 10/7 at her 6 month appointment.
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM
What's the weight history?
melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:03 AM
No she needs to nurse as much as she wants as that is much higher in nutrition and calorie then any of the jarred crap.
What is her full weight history? How are her milestones? Has she been growing in height? How about her hair and nails? Do you have an early intervention team involved?
As a mom with 1 incorrectly diagnosed failure to thrive child and one not diagnosed failure to thrive child I am all to familiar with true ftt and not ftt.
JoProsMom
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Added the link to the post.

Quoting K8wizzo: What's the weight history?
JoProsMom
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Added the link to the post.

She is developing exactly on cue. The nurses here have been commenting how alert and active and pretty she is. Her hair is growing well. She did not grow in height from 3-6 months.

This may be the dunce in me. What is an early intervention team?

Quoting melindabelcher: No she needs to nurse as much as she wants as that is much higher in nutrition and calorie then any of the jarred crap.
What is her full weight history? How are her milestones? Has she been growing in height? How about her hair and nails? Do you have an early intervention team involved?
As a mom with 1 incorrectly diagnosed failure to thrive child and one not diagnosed failure to thrive child I am all to familiar with true ftt and not ftt.
Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:30 AM
It's been awhile, but I recall that they both nursed at night and neither ate much in the way of solids at 6 months. In fact, YDD didn't start until 7 months. ODD is the peanut and she nursed less at night and started solids earlier (at 6 months). Neither of them were FTT, though.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM
It sounds like you need way more breastmilk than anything else. With her low weight gain I wouldn't be giving solids at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 5, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Has she been checked for tongue tie?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Baby should be nursed on dmeand, the solids are fine if after a nursing and baby is nursed on demand...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Does baby have a tongue tie? lip tie? heart condition? high plaette? Have you done before and after weights for 24 hours to see how much shes taking from the breast?  I am not saying supply is low I am saying she may not be transferring enough

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:11 AM
I would eliminate all solids for a while and nurse, nurse, nurse. Breastmilk is higher in calories than solids or formula. They are giving you terrible advice. Nurse without restrictions and count diapers. You want 5-6 diapers in twenty four hours with poopy counting as two. We do need her complete weight history. Also, look at the post from Poodlemum in the resources sticky about ties. There a pictures, links and lists of providers who revise ties if they are present. If you're outside the U.S., the Tongue tied Babies group may be able to suggest providers. Also look up Dr. Kotlow's website
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN