Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

breastfeeding while laying flat

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM
  • 13 Replies
will this cause an ear infection in my baby? i know bottle feeding while laying flat can, but what about breastfeeding? my baby wont nurse from my right breast unless she is laying on my bed on her side and i lay next to her. im afraid her laying flat like that will cause an infection in her ear
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM

No, breastfeeding while side lying is fine.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Breastmilk has living cultures and antibodies that prevent what you describe. Also, she is probably not totally flat for hours at a time. No worries!
caligirl7613
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM
thank you :)

Quoting K8wizzo:

No, breastfeeding while side lying is fine.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 9:57 AM
she does at night though...i put her to sleep in her bed but when she wakes about 1 am i move her to mine and just lay with her while she nurses, usually we both fall back asleep and she stays asleep till about 430 or 5am

Quoting MusherMaggie: Breastmilk has living cultures and antibodies that prevent what you describe. Also, she is probably not totally flat for hours at a time. No worries!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Quoting caligirl7613: she does at night though...i put her to sleep in her bed but when she wakes about 1 am i move her to mine and just lay with her while she nurses, usually we both fall back asleep and she stays asleep till about 430 or 5am

Quoting MusherMaggie: Breastmilk has living cultures and antibodies that prevent what you describe. Also, she is probably not totally flat for hours at a time. No worries!

Still no worries.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

thundersky
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM

no worries my DD2 dose that too. some times that is the only way she will sleep.

amandaut99
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I coslept with my DS and breastfed him multiple times a night for months. He has never had an ear infection in his life. The combination of breastmilk (antibacterial properties) and the way they suck when nursing (different from a bottle) means low risk of ear infections when nursing laying down. Go for it and don't worry!

caligirl7613
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM
im worried her latch isnt correct. she dosnt open her mouth wide enough i dont think. shes deff getting milk, but when she latches on, its pretty painful for about the 1st 30 seconds. then again shes only a week nd a half old and we are working on going from bottle\formula and breast to strictly breast

Quoting amandaut99:

I coslept with my DS and breastfed him multiple times a night for months. He has never had an ear infection in his life. The combination of breastmilk (antibacterial properties) and the way they suck when nursing (different from a bottle) means low risk of ear infections when nursing laying down. Go for it and don't worry!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandaut99
by Member on Mar. 5, 2014 at 11:27 AM

With both the babies I nursed long-term, the latch was painful at the beginning of the feeding for the first three weeks or so. I think it was a combination of "toughening" up my nipples as well as the small mouth of the baby making the latch not perfect. I just used lanolin after every feeding and it eventually got better. Also, when laying down to feed with newborns, I found that it was easier to latch if the baby was in the crook of my arm. When they get older you don't really have to do that but at first they are so small it is hard to get them latched properly in that position. I also support the boob that I am nursing with by holding it no matter the position. My boobs are big and heavy and I don't want to run the risk of the latch slipping while the baby is feeding and damaging the nipple.

Quoting caligirl7613: im worried her latch isnt correct. she dosnt open her mouth wide enough i dont think. shes deff getting milk, but when she latches on, its pretty painful for about the 1st 30 seconds. then again shes only a week nd a half old and we are working on going from bottle\formula and breast to strictly breast
Quoting amandaut99:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Mar. 5, 2014 at 12:06 PM
I bed shared while nursing all 4 of my babies through the night and we haven't had an ear infection. Other babies just seem probe to them no matter what. But breastfeeding while laying down does not in itself *cause* ear infections.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)