Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing my one and a half week old. Need help! UPDATE!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM
  • 35 Replies
So I just had our 4th child on February 23. I've been nursing him since day one and I want to EBF, no pumping, no bottles. But I'm very perplexed by his eating! He latches for hours but doesn't seem to be getting anything! I go to a nursing group twice a week and the IBCLC corrected our positioning and latch, checked the palate and for ties, and she can't figure it out either! He looks great and is sucking and swallowing. I have good supply and I feel the letdown. When I pull him off he has milk all over his face! But he wasn't peeing or pooping, was still losing weight, and his before and after feeding weights have no change. I had to begin finger feeds for his sake, but I still nurse him first for about 1 1/2-2 hrs with weighing before giving him that. What is going on?? Where is the milk going and how do I get him to get it and put it in his belly?!?!? Lol!! I'm at a loss! Anyone else have experience with this???

Update: So when I just did his finger feeding I noticed that it takes so much maneuvering to get my finger in to feed him because he pushes his tongue outward. So I really have to work to get him to put it down. Maybe a tongue thrust issue? Could that cause a transfer issue? And if so, what can I do to fix this?
by on Mar. 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 6, 2014 at 5:37 PM
So, there's definitely a transfer issue going on. Did the IBCLC check for a posterior tongue tie? When you say he wasn't peeing or pooping, do you mean he wasn't having any diapers at all?
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Mar. 6, 2014 at 5:38 PM
So are you saying he has not made a single wet or poopy diaper at all, all day long? The first week of life is a loss week. If all weights are done on different scales, they aren't accurate. Not all scales are calibrated the same and can be off my sometimes a whole lb.
MyahsMom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM
Yes, no pee or poop at all. I don't know about the tongue tie. She checked his mouth over and said he didn't have ties but I don't know specifically what she looked at.

Quoting K8wizzo: So, there's definitely a transfer issue going on. Did the IBCLC check for a posterior tongue tie? When you say he wasn't peeing or pooping, do you mean he wasn't having any diapers at all?
MyahsMom
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Yes, he was not having any wet or poopy diapers at all and he was at a 17% weight loss on the same scale.

Quoting Junebaby18: So are you saying he has not made a single wet or poopy diaper at all, all day long? The first week of life is a loss week. If all weights are done on different scales, they aren't accurate. Not all scales are calibrated the same and can be off my sometimes a whole lb.
HungryForTruth
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

From my own experience, be willing to listen to some of these experienced moms and check the SYMPTOMS of a tongue tie. Just because you can't see one, doesn't mean he doesn't have one. If he has symptoms of a tongue tie, he very well could have a tongue tie. My son gained fine in the first 3 months of life because I had over active let down and the milk was basically forced down him lol. Once I figured out how to make that stop a little, he stopped gaining and started losing. If you're son is not having accurate diaper counts and is losing weight, please for his sake pump and give him a bottle for now, at least while you are figuring out what the problem is. Giving my son a bottle (finally at 7 months) is what saved his life. He gained 5 pounds in the forst two months of giving a bottle. When a baby has a tongue tie, they cannot latch properly so they don't drink the milk they should, and they will lose weight and become failure to thrive. Try giving him a bottle and if you see a weight gain within the first week, then that could mean your baby has a tongue tie.

HungryForTruth
by Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Also, be sure to use the same exact scale with every weight check. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM
How long did he go without a wet or dirty diaper? Is he having any now with the finger feeds?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM
Can you take a picture of his upper lip and post it on here? Pull the top lip out and away from his gums with your thumbs and have someone take a picture. Don't push it up towards his nose; pull it out and up.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM
How much are you giving via finger feeds? How many times is he nursing in 24 hrs? Is he wanting to stay on the breast for 2 hrs at every feeding?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM
There is a post in the resources sticky from Poodlemum with pictures, links and a list of reputable providers who revise ties if they are present. From what you describe, I would be pretty sure he is tied.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)