Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Calories and dieting

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 23 Replies
I am trying to slim down after three kids. I am going to be exercising but still drinking plenty of water. How many calories is a good daily amount??
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM
Are you currently nursing? How old is your youngest? Generally, cutting out junk food, sodas, and cutting back on breads goes a long way. Focus on proteins, vegetables and good fats like real butter, coconut oil, olive oil and avocado.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

1800 is the minimum, if you're a calroei counter. I find it to be too much trouble and have found MusherMaggie's advice to work best.

Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM
I did all this and still haven't lost any weight. Lol Here is a bump for you OP I am curious as well. :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Are you currently nursing? How old is your youngest? Generally, cutting out junk food, sodas, and cutting back on breads goes a long way. Focus on proteins, vegetables and good fats like real butter, coconut oil, olive oil and avocado.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

1800-2100 for you

Look into weight watchers for nursing moms!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

How long have you given it? Nine months on, nine months off minimum. Don't look for fast loss.

Quoting Momsthename0609: I did all this and still haven't lost any weight. Lol Here is a bump for you OP I am curious as well. :)
Quoting MusherMaggie: Are you currently nursing? How old is your youngest? Generally, cutting out junk food, sodas, and cutting back on breads goes a long way. Focus on proteins, vegetables and good fats like real butter, coconut oil, olive oil and avocado.

Momsthename0609
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:29 AM
My son is 14 months old now, I have always eaten healthy but I have now given up on actually loosing any weight. It was the same for my last 3.

I gained 60lbs with my first lost 20lbs after his birth but didn't loose anything else, then I had my second, third and fourth gained 30 with all of them and lost it, but I can not seem to loose the extra 40 I gained with my oldest.

Quoting gdiamante:

How long have you given it? Nine months on, nine months off minimum. Don't look for fast loss.

Quoting Momsthename0609: I did all this and still haven't lost any weight. Lol Here is a bump for you OP I am curious as well. :)

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Depending on how old your nurser is, I wouldn't be cutting any calories.  But, that doesn't mean you can change your diet.  And add exercise.  Like a PP said, cut out all the crap and that will help a TON.  Stop eating processed foods. Or eat as little of them as possible. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Ahh. And as we get older it's harder, too. If you haven't upped your activity level, do so. I now make it a point to walk at least a quarter mile daily, longer if I have the time. Doing that has really made a difference for me; I'm down two sizes since July and just on the verge of being down three sizes.

Quoting Momsthename0609: My son is 14 months old now, I have always eaten healthy but I have now given up on actually loosing any weight. It was the same for my last 3. I gained 60lbs with my first lost 20lbs after his birth but didn't loose anything else, then I had my second, third and fourth gained 30 with all of them and lost it, but I can not seem to loose the extra 40 I gained with my oldest.
Quoting gdiamante:

justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Just eat clean. I probably eat 1200 calories or less on a normal day.

Calories are not created equal. Eat to fuel, not to fill.

ETA: I'm not suggesting anyone drop their caloric intake, but I think most would find that when they cut processed foods and eat clean, they don't need 2,000, or whatever the current recommendation is. Also, a low amount of calories is not to be confused with a small amount of food.
justone_jen
by Jen on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM
And yes, exercise.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN