Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

colic

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM
  • 4 Replies
Lina has colic. Usually she is fine but we do have the magik water! It's what we call gripe water. Works miracles! Anyway she is worse with gravies or hamburger meat. I mean I have to completely eliminate hamburger from my diet. Even just one taco keeps her up screaming n its 3 baths, gripe water, cluster feeding, n a lot of walking n rocking to get her to sleep. It is the same with gravy. What I am wondering is what is in these that causes her gas to be so bad? It's just curiosity. Dairy does it to her to so I took that out to.
by on Mar. 8, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I suspect what is really going on here is overactive letdown/oversupply. Gripe water actually ruins the virgin gut. What you eat, unless the baby has true dairy sensitivity (which usually manifests with eczema as well as stomach upset) has very little effect on your milk. What she is most likely experiencing is a flow so fast it's like trying to drink from a firehose!Recline when nnursing; you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. You may also need to block feed; use one breast for a few hours/feedings, then use the other for the next few. No pumping unless you have to be away from her. Kellymom.com has more tips on getting this fixed; look up OAL.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM
If the above doesn't work, she may have sensitivity to cow protein and gluten as well. But I would look up overactive letdown/oversupply first.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 8, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Are you checking for hidden dairy?

TLIF1281
by Member on Mar. 9, 2014 at 12:33 AM
I have learned to control my oald n os. I am cyliec so no gluten. No more dairy, no more hamburger meat now or gravy. I just posted this cuz I was thinking about it all as she was farting lol! Her farts smell like burned hair lol!

Quoting MusherMaggie: If the above doesn't work, she may have sensitivity to cow protein and gluten as well. But I would look up overactive letdown/oversupply first.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)