Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

bfing in public

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:10 AM
  • 18 Replies

I didnt really like BFing in public in the beginning bc its my first time bfing and i was shy/uncomfortable. i have BFed in a car on a hot day with a heavy blanket. i felt so bad for DS. I know he was hot and he was uncomfortable to BF. I have BFed at cheesecake factory and it was also difficult. I BFed at outback steakhouse and prior to BFing he was screaming his head off (i dont think he likes my friend.. it happens all the time and hes 6 mo) so it was also difficult to BF with that same blanket smh. I have BFed a lot more in public and getting better at it. im proud of myself :) now i wonder if i would ever be comfortable Bfing with no cover.. i doubt it though unless there wasnt a lot of ppl. im just glad its going great bc i failed with DD. I hope it lasts until at least 2 yo.

by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
arismommy611
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 4:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Good for you! I was very comfortable bfing in public. I generally used a cover, but if it was too much of a pain, ds would throw it off. So I would just angle him so you couldn 't really see anything. One of the most liberating things was when I fed him completely open in public. We had gone to Paris when ds was 5 months, and I had no cover, and he kept wiggling. So I stopped fighting it and let it all hang out. Lol we were at the Louvre and NO ONE batted an eye. It was nice that is was accepted as just natural.
aztecqueen22
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:04 AM

ds is the same. always batting his hand so basically hes almost taking it off haha.

Quoting arismommy611: Good for you! I was very comfortable bfing in public. I generally used a cover, but if it was too much of a pain, ds would throw it off. So I would just angle him so you couldn 't really see anything. One of the most liberating things was when I fed him completely open in public. We had gone to Paris when ds was 5 months, and I had no cover, and he kept wiggling. So I stopped fighting it and let it all hang out. Lol we were at the Louvre and NO ONE batted an eye. It was nice that is was accepted as just natural.

KristinD1988
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:12 AM

I'm glad that you're brave enough to at least keep trying. I am not comfortable AT ALL. I tried it once, with a cover and just couldn't do it. I couldn't get comfortable, my daughter was being very squeamish and I just couldn't. I wish that I could though, it would definitely make my likfe MUCH easier. Good for you for not giving up!

aztecqueen22
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:20 AM

do u plan on trying again? i know what you mean, DS is very wiggly lol. touching and slapping my face and chest and trying to take cover off.  thank you.

Quoting KristinD1988:

I'm glad that you're brave enough to at least keep trying. I am not comfortable AT ALL. I tried it once, with a cover and just couldn't do it. I couldn't get comfortable, my daughter was being very squeamish and I just couldn't. I wish that I could though, it would definitely make my likfe MUCH easier. Good for you for not giving up!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:13 AM

The only way to know is to actually do it. That's what I did. I found that covers were worse than neon signs flashing above my head. But the minute I abandoned the cover, I became the Invisible Woman. No one EVER noticed me.

melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Have you tried the two shirt method?

jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Just keep doing and you will get more comfortable. I suggests loosing the cover it draws more attention to you. Use the two shirt method. Use a tank you can pull down from the top and pull the outer shirt up it keeps your belly covered and the top of your breast covered to. Works great for me. I nurse in public all the time. And most people don't even notice. good job and good luck
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I just wore a nursing bra and a loose shirt. Nothing ever showed.
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 10, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I do the same, and sometimes the double shirt... It gets easier with time and practice!

Quoting MusherMaggie: I just wore a nursing bra and a loose shirt. Nothing ever showed.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope this helps:

Breastfeeding In Public

To cover or not to cover. That is the question. What if you want to breastfeed your baby, but you don't want anyone to "see anything"?

Why is nursing in public (aka NIP) such a big deal right now anyway?

I had my first baby in 2000, almost 12 years ago. He was exclusively breastfed. I breast-fed him whenever and wherever we were the entire 14 months that I was nursing him. Special "nursing covers" were a lot less popular back then, though I did see them on occasion. I never used a cover or blanket to try and "hide" what we were doing. I'm pretty modest and don't like to draw attention to myself. I was uncomfortable at the thought of exposing my breast to someone, so I quickly learned how to lift my shirt just enough to slip baby onto the breast.

I found I drew little attention from the public when I was nursing my baby. I began to realize, what many moms have since told me, that most people don't even realize that you're breastfeeding. When you are nursing your baby, without a cover. most people think you are holding a sleeping baby.

I LOVE this photo (above) because the mom in the picture reports, "My mom posted it on Facebook three days ago and JUST NOW realized that baby was nursing!"

Now, 12 years later I'm nursing my third child. It is making me crazy that so many women do not feel comfortable nursing in public. Many think that in order to be "discrete" or because they feel modest that a cover is the way to go. The reality is using a cover draws MORE attention. If you want  no one to notice you, just nurse!

My message: Just do it!

Who is drawing more attention? This mom:

Or this mom?
Udder Cover

Do you see anything that needs to be covered up? Anything mom should feel embarrassed about?

Do you see any breasts?

This really says it all:

http://jonirae.com/

A BIG thanks to the moms from Cafemom who shared their NIP photos with me and allowed me to use them in this post.

More

Be sure and check out this blog!

Nursing in Public: Understanding that supporting breastfeeding means supporting breastfeeding in public.

Favorite articles about breastfeeding in public:

7 Tips for breastfeeding in public stress free (includes video on how to nurse in an Ergo)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)