Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

serious engorgement! help!

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM
  • 10 Replies
Hi ladies, we've been weaned for over a week now, and Hendrix is doing great. I was too, up until recently. My left breast isn't dried up but it stopped producing milk after a couple of days off the breast. No changes in it. My right breast, however is huge. It didn't change at all for days, then out of nowhere, around 4 days or so, it started getting bigger. It is now at least a full 2 cup sizes bigger. It is very hard and painful. I've been using cabbage leaves for days, peppermint oil, taking lecithin for 3 days, have kept it out of hot water. I'm at my wits end! I'm afraid of getting mastitis. Any advice? Will the right side ever go back to normal? Ive had to wear loose fitting clothing because there is a very noticeable difference. I mean it's seriously night and day between them.
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Add ice and ibuprofen to what you're already doing. Hopefully one of the IBCLC's will chime in!
rfhsure
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Okay, I will, thank you! I just don't understand why one side seems to just not have stopped producing. It was definitely the bugger producer between the two, but it was just fine for days! I didn't even express anything from it. I don't known what kicked it into high gear. Thanks for your advice!

Quoting MusherMaggie: Add ice and ibuprofen to what you're already doing. Hopefully one of the IBCLC's will chime in!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 10, 2014 at 1:32 PM

It rakes as long as a year for the milk to be gone, and you will likely forever see some difference but they'll be closer.

rfhsure
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM
But is there anything I can do for the engorgement?

Quoting gdiamante:

It rakes as long as a year for the milk to be gone, and you will likely forever see some difference but they'll be closer.

shortyali
by Alicia on Mar. 10, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Hand express for comfort and try cold cabbage leaves. Did you wean to fast?

Quoting rfhsure: But is there anything I can do for the engorgement?

Quoting gdiamante:

rfhsure
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:15 PM
No! In don't think so. It took us over a month, and I wasn't engorged at all when we stopped. It stayed the same size for days, and my left breast is completely unaffected. About 5 days or so after we stopped nursing, it just got engorged out of nowhere.

Quoting shortyali: Hand express for comfort and try cold cabbage leaves. Did you wean to fast?

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM

It should take the same number of weeks as times you nursed in a day. Ali already gave you the best advice for relief.

Quoting rfhsure: No! In don't think so. It took us over a month, and I wasn't engorged at all when we stopped. It stayed the same size for days, and my left breast is completely unaffected. About 5 days or so after we stopped nursing, it just got engorged out of nowhere.
Quoting shortyali: Hand express for comfort and try cold cabbage leaves. Did you wean to fast?
Quoting gdiamante:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM
Hand express to comfort. A tea by earthmamaangelbaby called no more milk will also help.
rfhsure
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I've been doing those things so far, I just didn't know if there was something else in could have been doing. Thanks!

Quoting gdiamante:

It should take the same number of weeks as times you nursed in a day. Ali already gave you the best advice for relief.

Quoting rfhsure: No! In don't think so. It took us over a month, and I wasn't engorged at all when we stopped. It stayed the same size for days, and my left breast is completely unaffected. About 5 days or so after we stopped nursing, it just got engorged out of nowhere.

Quoting gdiamante:

TurtleMami
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Express the milk and put ice packs on it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)