Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Just a few questions

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM
  • 21 Replies
Is it normal for a new newborn to nurse 30 minutes on one side?

The one nurse seemed to have an issue with him eating about every 5 hours. I have offered myself but he refuses. Is this okay?

Another thing I have noticed this twice now. A string of blood will come out of my left nipple after he has nursed. It happened the last two times on the left. I have heard I can bleed but never the string stuff.

Thanks for all the help in advance :-)
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM
How many days old is our baby? Nursing for 30 mins is very normal.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Quoting JRSMOM0621: Is it normal for a new newborn to nurse 30 minutes on one side?
It certainly can be.
The one nurse seemed to have an issue with him eating about every 5 hours. I have offered myself but he refuses. Is this okay?
Are dipes good? If you're changing one dipe per day of life, and are starting to see the meconium move, you're probably fine for now. Birth is hard work for babies! You can try expressing a little milk nth the nipple.
Another thing I have noticed this twice now. A string of blood will come out of my left nipple after he has nursed. It happened the last two times on the left. I have heard I can bleed but never the string stuff. Thanks for all the help in advance :-)
SOunds like something in the duct.

JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:13 PM
Just born at 2:30am this morning

Quoting ceckyl: How many days old is our baby? Nursing for 30 mins is very normal.
JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Since birth he has pooped 3 times and had 1 pee diaper

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting JRSMOM0621: Is it normal for a new newborn to nurse 30 minutes on one side?
It certainly can be.
Are dipes good? If you're changing one dipe per day of life, and are starting to see the meconium move, you're probably fine for now. Birth is hard work for babies! You can try expressing a little milk nth the nipple.
Another thing I have noticed this twice now. A string of blood will come out of my left nipple after he has nursed. It happened the last two times on the left. I have heard I can bleed but never the string stuff.

Thanks for all the help in advance :-)
SOunds like something in the duct.

melindabelcher
by mel on Mar. 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Try to offer closer to 2-3hrs as baby starts to wake up over the next couple days. 

Baby is probably exhausted from delivery. 

alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Jack was like that too. He really didn't care about eating at first. I had to set alarms at night to feed him every 2-3 hours! Just try and if he's not into it try again later. Soon he'll start demanding sooner and sooner.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:35 PM
He's having plenty of diapers. The first week we look for one diaper per day of life, two quarter sized poops each day by mid-week. Poopy diapers count as two each. He'll be more awake in the next day or so. Keep him skin-to-skin with you as much as possible; this will stimulate him and your supply. Sounds like you're doing great! Just be sure he opens his mouth as wide as possible when he latches on.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:39 PM
As long as you're offering every two to three hours that's fine. You don't need to piss him off, but a few minutes of offering the breast and feet tickling should do the trick.
I've never had stringy blood, but it does sound like it has to do with your ducts on that side. Is it coming out of a wound on your nipple or straight out like milk?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrsmayaguy
by on Mar. 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Offer the breast but the first 48 hrs my dd hardly nursed. She was exhausted but she totally made up for it!

Congrats on your lo

as far as the blood....speak with a lactation consultant!!!!

JRSMOM0621
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 1:11 AM
I am not sure where it came from. Left breast is starter at the next feeding so I will see if it happens again

Quoting polkaspots: As long as you're offering every two to three hours that's fine. You don't need to piss him off, but a few minutes of offering the breast and feet tickling should do the trick.
I've never had stringy blood, but it does sound like it has to do with your ducts on that side. Is it coming out of a wound on your nipple or straight out like milk?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN