Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Day 5 of nursing strike UPDATE 2

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM
  • 75 Replies
At this point, I'm just hoping he can get over whatever his issues are and start eating. My IBCLC didn't have any advice or suggestions beyond what I'm already doing and all attempts to supplement him (by myself and others) have failed. He's sleeping most of the day (which is quite unlike him) and almost seems to have little energy to even try. He's not rooting and most of the time won't even open his mouth to my nipple. My last hope is the chiropractor today. It's also looking like I might have to cancel our trip we were planning for next week if this doesn't turn around quickly.

UPDATE: ugh. So the pedi drew a CBC and said his WBCs were high, indicating a vital infection of some sort. She "thinks" it's GI and she "thinks" the protein and fat in my milk are bothering his gut so that's why he's refusing. Right. Her advice was to stop bfing for 24 hours and get at least 20oz of pedialyte down him. I told her how he refuses bottle, syringe, cup, spoon, and finger, but she seems to think I can force 20oz of pedialyte down him. She didn't think it was serious enough to warrant a tube, despite the fact that he's peed once in 11 hours and is sleeping all the time. What do I do? That's bad advice, right? Should I just take him to the ER?

UPDATE 2: disappointed again. ER doc swabbed him for strep and is going to do a U/A (both still pending). She literally laughed in my face when I mentioned an NG tube. She said she would never put a tube down a baby who has "no signs" of dehydration. Apparently, in her book, a 2-month old only needs 3 wet diapers a day and 2 (he's up to 2 now) is "close enough." As far as him nursing only twice since 4am (for less than 10 minutes each time) she said is just him being "more effective." At least the pedi gave me something to do (even if it was bad advice). This doc is just going to send us home. Why will no one take this seriously!?
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:33 AM
How are you feeding him now?
Merrick17
by Corrine on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
If he's hardly eating and lethargic I would take him to your pediatrician. That doesn't sound very good.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Occasionally by breast. The only way he'll take it is when he's asleep (or mostly) but he comfort sucks more than anything so I'm afraid he's not getting much out.

Quoting K8wizzo: How are you feeding him now?
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:37 AM
When he's awake, he's alert and smiley like usual. He's just spending more time sleeping.

Quoting Merrick17: If he's hardly eating and lethargic I would take him to your pediatrician. That doesn't sound very good.
Merrick17
by Corrine on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:40 AM
Ok that's good. I'm a worrywart. I hope the chiro helps.

Quoting LeapBaby123: When he's awake, he's alert and smiley like usual. He's just spending more time sleeping.

Quoting Merrick17: If he's hardly eating and lethargic I would take him to your pediatrician. That doesn't sound very good.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Mar. 11, 2014 at 9:42 AM
I am too. These have definitely been some stressful days for me.

I hope it helps too.

Quoting Merrick17: Ok that's good. I'm a worrywart. I hope the chiro helps.

Quoting LeapBaby123: When he's awake, he's alert and smiley like usual. He's just spending more time sleeping.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM

At this point, dehydration would be a concern. How many diapers is he producing each day?

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM
You're not using any other feeding method? You need to be syringe or cup feeding him, eitger expressed milk or formula.

Quoting LeapBaby123: Occasionally by breast. The only way he'll take it is when he's asleep (or mostly) but he comfort sucks more than anything so I'm afraid he's not getting much out.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:20 AM

She has said that he won't take any feedings by any method. She has tried everything. This is very concerning.

Quoting K8wizzo: You're not using any other feeding method? You need to be syringe or cup feeding him, eitger expressed milk or formula.
Quoting LeapBaby123: Occasionally by breast. The only way he'll take it is when he's asleep (or mostly) but he comfort sucks more than anything so I'm afraid he's not getting much out.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 11, 2014 at 10:22 AM
I missed that post. This is extremely concerning, for sure. What about an sns or syringe while he's asleep?

Quoting stepconfused182:

She has said that he won't take any feedings by any method. She has tried everything. This is very concerning.

Quoting K8wizzo: You're not using any other feeding method? You need to be syringe or cup feeding him, eitger expressed milk or formula.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN