Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

UPDATED (After appt) Any way to increase pump output? ADDED Log from yesterday and today

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 5:28 PM
  • 43 Replies

UPDATE  So I am more discouraged than anything. Emmalynn has only gained 20oz in 48 days, 4oz shy of the lowest goal weight gain they would want to see. I thought Kellymom said .25-1oz a day is normal but according the ibclc it has to be .5-1oz.  Baby is only transferring 1oz on the left and 3/4oz on the right. This was the 9am feeding and she said it should have been the highest feeding of the day, even though she nursed at 1am, 3am, and 6am. She told me my body was failing at breastfeeding. She didn't tell me anything helpful. She said I need to increase supplements after feedings to 2oz instead of one, give her formula as her last bottle of the night so she will get more calories and sleep through the night instead of nursing through the night. I am continuing more milk plus, and I have ordered domperidone even though she said it probably wont work. She kept asking me if I really liked breastfeeding, that supplementing was more stress and aggravating then most women want to take on.

I really don't know what do say or do anything. She basically told me to opposite of what everyone else has said and what I have read....

I'm not sure where to turn at this point.

So today is the most I have gotten by pumping. And that is because I got a hand pump and just pump at my desk. In the 13 hours I'm away from baby I'm only getting 3oz typically. Today I got 4.5oz in 7 pumping sessions. I found that I am getting more with the hand pump then I am with the double electric. DD nurses when I get home/pick her up. Then she nurses basically the entire time on and off until 10pm when we go to bed then she nurses herself to sleep. She wakes at 1am and 3am to nurse, then at 5am she nurses until 630am sometimes 7am.

At daycare she is getting 3-4oz bottles every 3-4 hours (so basically 4 bottles) while I am gone since I am not the one to drop her off. I do pick her up though. I have donor milk but I know I am making more than I am able to pump out even with my supply issues. Is there a way to increase it?

I get to work at 6am and I leave at 6pm. I have an hour drive to and from work.

Date Time Amount
3/11/2014 6:30 1.5oz
  8:15 .5oz
  10:10 .5oz
  12:30 .5oz
  2:30 0.75oz
  3:30 .25 (1 side L)
  3:55 .25 (1 side R)
3/12/2014 5:25 1 oz
  6:50 .5oz
  8:30 13cc
  9:55 5cc (R only)
  1:30 1.25oz (pics/20mins)

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 11, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Is the baby taking both breasts when she nurses? If not, try pumping the other side while she's feeding so that you can take advantage of the baby-led let-downs. Are you taking supplements? You can take Domperidone to help increase your supply.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this
http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html This link has a video that shows you how to do hands on pumping to maximize your output.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 11, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Best way to increase is to do more sessions. I found it mandatory to pump while nursing during the morning nursing every day, seven days a week, "skip hygeine before skipping this step" kind of mandatory.

NCJen84
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:43 AM

Yes she takes both breast plus an oz of supplemental bm. Currently I am taking more milk plus special blend. I have ordered domperidone but it says it can take up to two weeks.

Quoting MinaPR: Is the baby taking both breasts when she nurses? If not, try pumping the other side while she's feeding so that you can take advantage of the baby-led let-downs. Are you taking supplements? You can take Domperidone to help increase your supply.

NCJen84
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Thanks, I have added this but I only get an extra 2-4ml a session. I'm hoping it will help increase over the long run.

Quoting K8wizzo: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html This link has a video that shows you how to do hands on pumping to maximize your output.

NCJen84
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:47 AM
Quoting gdiamante:

Best way to increase is to do more sessions. I found it mandatory to pump while nursing during the morning nursing every day, seven days a week, "skip hygeine before skipping this step" kind of mandatory.

I have added a pumping session on my way to work with a hand pump this morning, I got an ounce, at 5:30am. Her last nursing session was 3:30am. I'm going to look into batteries or a car charger for my electric pump so I can pump on my 45 min drive to and from work.

I am pumping every hour to hour and half at my desk plus my regular 3-4 pumping sessions with the electric pump while I'm at work. I'm also going to add it in at home around her nursing schedule which is pretty constant.

I'm so excited about seeing a IBCLC tomorrow to see how much she is actually transferring during a nursing session.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 12, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I cant wait to hear how much she transfers but remember one session doesnt show much at all really, you need 24 hours of weights to know!

Have yuo tried drinking ovaltine? How abuot eatting seaweed? those 2 things seem to help me tons.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Mar. 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM

so funny you should say that. I skipped my morning shower today because I knew I had to pump! lol. oops...i guess ill be the stinky one in the office today. 

embarrassed

Quoting gdiamante:

NCJen84
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I haven't tried those just yet. Grocery day is Friday and I'll have to find a whole foods store closer to me. How exactly does Ovaltine help?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I cant wait to hear how much she transfers but remember one session doesnt show much at all really, you need 24 hours of weights to know!

Have yuo tried drinking ovaltine? How abuot eatting seaweed? those 2 things seem to help me tons.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I get both at walmart, its the malt in the Ovaltine that helps along with the increase in vitamins

Quoting NCJen84:

I haven't tried those just yet. Grocery day is Friday and I'll have to find a whole foods store closer to me. How exactly does Ovaltine help?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)