Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question re: Mastitis in humans vs. Mastitis in dairy animals

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:04 AM
  • 3 Replies

I recently learned that the quality of milk *in a dairy animal* is compromised when the animal has mastitis.

I also learned that there are various tests to test the milk to determine if it is indeed mastitis.

Are either of these true in humans?

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 4:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM
They are not. Mastitis in mom does not affect the safety of her milk.
GoodyBrook
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 3:20 AM

Quoting K8wizzo: They are not. Mastitis in mom does not affect the safety of her milk.

Agreed, safety of milk is not compromised.  

But does human milk change its make-up if mama has mastitis, like it does in dairy animals?  (For example casein is lower in mastitic milk than non-mastitic milk. Also enzymes are produced by the infection, so cheese making quality is effected).

Also, there are tests, such as the CMT or California Mastitis Test, that you can use to test for mastitis in dairy animals.  Is a similar test available for humans to difinitively determine its presence?   (Or does doc just throw antibiotics at the situation if symptoms indicate mastitis?)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 13, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Lots of links here for more in depth research, probably also on pubmed: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/ Mastitic milk may be higher in sodium and chloride, but I don't know off hand if anything else changes. There is no dipstick test for human mastitis ghat I know of. If you want it cultured, they need to biopsy the site of the infection in the breast.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN