Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Wrong Baby Is Weaning!

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM
  • 10 Replies
My almost 20 month old baby is refusing to nurse. It started night before last with him biting my nipple but it was almost like he couldn't help it. He finally nursed to sleep that night. Yesterday he took his nap late refusing to nurse and he finally fell asleep on his own. Every time yesterday that I got him to take the breast he would just bite me and laugh then get down and go play. At bed time last night he again refused it and stayed awake 2 extra hours before letting me rock him to sleep. My 3 1/2 year old is still nursing. If one of them weanes I'd rather it be him. Maybe he actually needs it more. I don't know. Could this just be a nursing strike?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Sounds like teething pain (treat with Tylenol or teething tablets), or impending illness. Also, teach nursing manners; when he bites, end the session and wal away, leaving him in a safebut boring place. Just continue to offer when he's drowsy. Anything new going on in his life?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Mar. 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Could be a nursing strike..sounds like teething

harveysmom713
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM
I've been thinking maybe it's teething. Twice yesterday I gave him ibuprofen because he got extremely cranky. It helped both times. Nothing new happening in his life.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Sounds like teething pain (treat with Tylenol or teething tablets), or impending illness. Also, teach nursing manners; when he bites, end the session and wal away, leaving him in a safebut boring place. Just continue to offer when he's drowsy. Anything new going on in his life?
harveysmom713
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Thank you! I am sure hoping it is and it won't last long. I don't think I'm ready for him to wean.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

harveysmom713
by Member on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM
He nursed in the middle of the night last night but not at all today. :-( I think he may be trying to weane.

Quoting harveysmom713: Thank you! I am sure hoping it is and it won't last long. I don't think I'm ready for him to wean.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Kellileanne
by on Mar. 13, 2014 at 4:50 PM
My 19 month old had been biting the last week and yesterday I found her molars have started breaking the surface of her gums.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Mar. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM
It definitely sounds like a nursing strike due to teething. Tylenol, Advil/motrin, teething tablets, and amber necklaces are common treatments. Breastmilk ice cubes are great also. Rubbing some raw sweet onion on the gums helps as well.
harveysmom713
by Member on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM
He nursed in the middle of the night again last night. Not at all yesterday or so far today. I think he has been teething but I'm also thinking he may be trying to weane. My 18 year old son self weaned at 18 months almost cold turkey. Just not sure yet.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Mar. 14, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Stopping suddenly like that is usually a strike. True self weaning happens gradually.

Quoting harveysmom713: He nursed in the middle of the night again last night. Not at all yesterday or so far today. I think he has been teething but I'm also thinking he may be trying to weane. My 18 year old son self weaned at 18 months almost cold turkey. Just not sure yet.
harveysmom713
by Member on Mar. 15, 2014 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
GOOD NEWS! He's nursing normally again. I'm a happy mama.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)