Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Water, baby food, and breastmilk......

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM
  • 14 Replies

DS2 will be 7 months old tomorrow. He is still exclusively breastfeeding, except the few times he's tried a bite of something off my plate.
  I know that at least for the first year, breastmilk is all they need. However, he's still not even ready to eat baby food (or table food). He has a few of the signs, but not all of them (mainly, his tongue still pushes food back out). I have family members that don't understand that he's not ready. They will try to feed him when I'm not in the room (which I've had to stop leaving him alone there even for a second). I'm correct, right? He doesn't need to eat baby food yet, does he? It's not vital to his survival?
  Second question: when should I introduce water? With DS1, the ped suggested introducing water at six months old. DS1 loved water, but he was also doing well with baby food then, too (he seemed to progress "on target"). Is there a "normal" time-frame for all of this? Do you give water?
  Also, DS2 has been getting his latch back on track. I made a post a while back about his relapse into laziness, but we've got it corrected again. My soreness is almost gone!

Here's DS2: Mikhael

by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
What a cutie! I am not sure on any of this. I know with my ds1 at around 7 months he would eat a few bites of what ever I had...banana. .apple sauce and such. My ds 2 will be 2 months the 14
K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Cutiepie! You can introduce water with solids, just a couple of ounces in a cup ehen you give him bites of your food. No need for baby food. He's fine on just breastmilk until his body is ready for solids
jean_marie1987
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Thank you. Are they able to use a cup around the time they're able to eat food?

Quoting K8wizzo: Cutiepie! You can introduce water with solids, just a couple of ounces in a cup ehen you give him bites of your food. No need for baby food. He's fine on just breastmilk until his body is ready for solids

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this
We just give a cup with water, offer food we are eating. My youngest didn't want solids until 9 months.
diesel2135
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

You're doing it right!  Babies dont need solids in that first year when breastfed.  My dd didn't take solids until around 10 months.  If you're bf'ing than he probably doesn't need water.  I haven't given my little one water (12 months) at all.  Just milk.  She does take whole milk now from a cup. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

They're able to use a cup the mopment they start breathing. **grin** They can't hold it themselves but they can drink from it. Remove the spillproof cap. Caregiver tips, baby sips.

I'd let the relatives get their clothes messed. He pushed food back out> Let them try to give it to them and spit it all over them.

You don't have to do water at all.

Quoting jean_marie1987:

Quoting K8wizzo: Cutiepie! You can introduce water with solids, just a couple of ounces in a cup ehen you give him bites of your food. No need for baby food. He's fine on just breastmilk until his body is ready for solids

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Kellymom.com has good information on starting solids. He doesn't have to be spoon fed; he can start solids when he can put them in his own mouth.
GreenTree11
by Member on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

My first was like this. If you push them when they aren't ready, they reject the food by gagging or pushing it out with their tongue. Best to just wait for his cues that he is ready. Breastmilk is the only thing he needs until he turns one, so don't worry, you are doing fine!! Every baby is different :)  Water might not be necessary but it also doesn't hurt as long as it's not used as a filler. I'd offer sips in whatever cup you feel comfortable with. Some moms prefer to start with a bottle, a sippy, or from a regular cup. Try different things and see what works well for you and your DS.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Mar. 12, 2014 at 3:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. We just put half an inch of water in an open cup and let them learn in their high chair

Quoting jean_marie1987:

MinaPR
by Mina on Mar. 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I give my DD pieces of solids for fun, (almost 8 months). Today she gave herself an avocado face mask! LOL! She loves bananas and sweet potato, but all her solids are just to keep her busy while we eat (fun), not main nourishment.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN