Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

smoking and breastfeeding uhhhhgggggg!

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM
  • 30 Replies
My sil has asked me for help from the very beginning with advice on bfing her DD I bf my ds for 9 months till my milk just suddenly dried up. Well I thought she was taking bfing seriously for dn but instead I find out she started smoking again! She knows that that is a horrible idea! Because she hid it from me not that she had to but she knows she shouldn't do that. And totally off topic but dn has a horrible case of cradle cape I've ever seen! It's thick and yellowish and scaly and some of her hair is matted in it. Have you ever seen cradle cap that bad what should she do to get rid of it?
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Smoking and breastfeeding is better than smoking and formula feeding. Smoking is never a "good" thing but it's not particularly horrible either. I would point her to the smoking article on Kellymom.

As for the cradle cap, passed coconut oil and a soft scrub with a baby brush,it just has to be outgrown.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Some people smoke. That's just how it is. It's better for baby to be breastfeeding any way. Breastfeeding helps offer protection. I would do coconut oil in the scalp for the cradle cap. Maybe she is bathing him too much. Babies dont need baths often, and especially not with soap. They dry out easily.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this
That sucks that she is smoking :( i hope not around the baby.

As for craddle cap. You can get some coconur oil, or olive oil, apply, gently brush and the give baby a bath after.
justone_jen
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:37 PM
5 moms liked this
Maybe she didn't want to tell you because she knew you'd judge her.

You should research smoking and breastfeeding a bit.
eykelley
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:38 PM
I smoked and BF'd. I was super stressed while seperated from dh. I was careful about it. No issues with my dd.
masonsmommy107
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM
I'm not judging her I love her and her kids and I hate she's doing that to herself and her kids. She's more like a sister to me

Quoting justone_jen: Maybe she didn't want to tell you because she knew you'd judge her.

justone_jen
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM
3 moms liked this
It's none of your business that she smokes. Yes, you are judging her, and unnecessarily.

Quoting masonsmommy107: I'm not judging her I love her and her kids and I hate she's doing that to herself and her kids. She's more like a sister to me

Quoting justone_jen: Maybe she didn't want to tell you because she knew you'd judge her.

masonsmommy107
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:44 PM
I don't know what it is I do know mil got rid of it once but sil let it get really bad this time

Quoting ceckyl: Some people smoke. That's just how it is. It's better for baby to be breastfeeding any way. Breastfeeding helps offer protection. I would do coconut oil in the scalp for the cradle cap. Maybe she is bathing him too much. Babies dont need baths often, and especially not with soap. They dry out easily.
gdiamante
by Gina on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Quoting masonsmommy107: My sil has asked me for help from the very beginning with advice on bfing her DD I bf my ds for 9 months till my milk just suddenly dried up. Well I thought she was taking bfing seriously for dn but instead I find out she started smoking again! She knows that that is a horrible idea!
The smoking again is a horrible idea, yes. But if she's going to smoke again, it's FAR better for baby to breastfeed than not. Smoking raises risk levels. Smoking and formula feeding? Like playing Russian Roulette with TWO bullets in the gun.... it raises the risk even more.
Can't help with the cradle cap, sorry!
GreenTree11
by on Mar. 12, 2014 at 2:54 PM

That's great she is breastfeeding and sticking with it - and it says a lot that she is reaching out to you! I don't smoke, but it doesn't bother me when other people do it. I probably wouldn't say anything - just offer my support and explain that I know how stressful everything can be and offer my help.

As for the cradle cap - my son had this SOO bad, despite everything I tried. My ped told me it wasn't anything to worry about, it would eventually clear up. But I begged him for something - and he told me to use head and shoulders shampoo. I forget which one he told me to use - but after a few washes the cradle cap started to improve. Maybe you could check into that for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)